Captan on Pears?

Fluffy, I’d like to hear your opinion on Potomac. I’m growing it and it may fruit this year. I’ve read all sorts of mixed reviews on it.

:anguished: Koch Brothers?

My woman likes Potomac. It is an Anjou class pear, and she likes Anjou. It is very, very fireblight resistant and of exceedingly high quality. I am just not an Anjou fan so I use it as a base for a multi-graft tree. Mine is on OHxF 282 and I have had it about 15 years. Either Rocky Meadow screwed up on the rootstock (unlikely) or the darn thing is very, very,very vigorous. Basedon what folks have told me it is vigorous and out grows any thing else. I can keep my pears on 333 at 8 feet easy,this thing I have had trouble keeping it at 20 feet. It has a very vertical habit and even fall prunings sends up watersprouts.

Looks wise,it is an ugly pear,but then I think all Anjou pears look like hobbit pears:dumpy little squat unattractive things.

That being stated if I wanted to grow Anjou type pears for market this would be it, as it has a great taste for a Anjou type and is ever so fireblight resistant. Also it has a biennial tendency at least here and I never have heard other people mention that.

IMO, it would make a nice shade tree if you wanted an integrated landscape.

2 Likes

Wow, mine is on either Quince or perhaps seedling rootstock and is growing glacially slow with a red Bartlett right next to it and planted at the same time going gangbusters.

Glad to hear you think it’s flavorful, I’d read some poor reviews on taste.

Fluffy, I was just kidding, but a signed portrait of the Koch bros would certainly be a huge score. For my son’s generation, irony is the north star of humor. He could mount the portrait in his Brooklyn apt (by mount, I mean hang on a wall). Next time you are having them over for dinner, you could get that for me.

My three favorite pears are Harrow Sweet, Sheldon and Duchess, all late ripening for pears. On good years Sheldon and Duchess rival Comice. Harrow Sweet is more reliable than either, about as good, a bit sweeter, and less fussy about picking time as it can even be ripened on the tree.

That Harrow Delight drops hardly seems a problem because by the time one does you best pick the rest. I just don’t like summer pears- and not just because they are not as richly aromatic as later varieties. No room left for fruit after eating nectarines, peaches, plums, etc. but having amazing pears through fall into winter is wonderful.

Apple,

This is all written “tongue in cheek”. I don’t want to take this thread into controversy, but if you google Koch brothers political activity, I think you’ll understand the joke b/t Fluff and Alan.

hahaha…I’m very familiar with the Koch brothers Olpea. I’m not lost on this humour at all.