Cara's Choice blueberry source?

It needs to be tested in what areas it will work. I think fruitnut tried it and didn’t like it, or it didn’t grow well for him. It is a mix of cultivars in it’s lineage, so SHB or NHB? Somewhere in between? It works here in Zone 6 and all I can say about it. Mine is not that big, still I can try an air layer on it. If it works I’ll trade for other cuttings, or just for postage. I want to experiment with air layers anyway.

1 Like

Awesome! Maybe I should try air-layering mine, both for the fun of it and for possible future trades.

Just got my Cara’s Choice today. Pretty small plant considering in the picture it says there are two in there. The one on the left is Cara’s Choice. The one on the right is a bluecrop from Hartmanns.
I’ll be planting them tomorrow. Hopefully they do well.

3 Likes

I planted four sweethearts this spring that were on sale. I haven’t heard much about that variety, so will be interested to hear what people have to say about it.

Cara’s Choice and Hannah’s Choice are still not available on Burpee’s website. Perhaps no one will be selling them this year?

@Joe @fruitgrower FYI I just checked in on my orders status with a local nursery (groversblueberries.com) that sells 4 year old blueberry bushes and was told that they are updating their website and will likely be carrying Cara’s Choice and/or Hannah’s Choice soon. Those that are still interested should give them a call and confirm.

4 Likes

I found a nursery that sells Cara’s Choice. Attaching the information.

Hi Joe,

Yes we carry Cara’s choice. I have attached our price list. We currently have them available in the 3 year 1 gallon size.

Thank you,

Adam

A.G. Ammon Nursery, Inc.
1610 Route 532
Chatsworth, NJ 08019
T: 609.726.1370

Since the PDF said it’s commercial pricing I sent a follow-up email to ask about retail, he said it’s the same.

Ammon Nursery Price List Commercial 2021-2022.pdf (148.5 KB)

3 Likes

I had a good year with Cara’s Choice. It grew twice as much as the year before. I’m stoked! Everybody has different tastes, so even though many like it, you may not! I like it a lot. I want to try Hannah’s.

1 Like

Brix is 30% higher than Duke and Bluecrop per this study. Hannah’s choice is also said to have a higher brix.

1 Like

Yes, and I was worried it might not survive here in zone 6a, but a study shows Hannah has a frost tolerant gene and so should work fine here.
Any blueberry M.K. Ehlenfeldt worked on has interest for me. He helped bring these to the public along with Legacy, and Raz, both I have and they have very good to excellent favor and have great growth habits, vigorous easy to grow plants. He also was involved in the Nocturne release, although retired now.
He also helped release Pink Lemonade and I’m hoping Nocturne will provide viable pollen. I have yet to add Lemonade as I heard stories of low fruit output in the north. I think it’s a rabbiteye pollination issue. Thinking having Cara’s and Nocturne (Legacy too) should help with that. I do have Pink Popcorn which is OK, not great.
Another blueberry I really like is Ka-Bluey. Silly name used by the Gardens Alive owned nurseries, but all the same a top shelf cultivar that gives Cara’s a run for the money on flavor. So it must have a high brix too. Not a great producer, although it is vigorous and easy to grow.

I suggest Legacy too as it grows well in the north and south, although may suffer in extremes of cold, but for me in 6a it grows like a beast! The only blueberry I have that keeps leaves well into the winter. I took this photo a week ago it was 12 F out. The plant is 4th or 5th leaf.
Legacy

I’m running out of space and am debating whether or not to order this and dig out Bluecrop, which can be replanted somewhere else for the birds. I know how much you like Cara’s Choice. It must not be the best blueberry for commercial growers as it has been so hard to find.

Have you tried the older varieties like Herbert and Elizabeth? I’m curious how these new varieties compare. I have winemaking in mind so the quality of the blueberry matters a great deal.

For sure, for one it’s a small plant (lower production), it may have a huge picking scar, or be too soft etc.
It is a home growers plant for sure. I put Legacy and Cara’s in at the same time. Legacy is close to 6 feet tall and Cara’s is slightly under 3 feet tall. Fourth or 5th leaf for both of these.

1 Like

Were you able to place an order? I can’t seem to get their website to do anything but give contact information. I can’t even get a plant list like you attached. I left a message by phone and emailed them as that seems to be the only option. Thanks for providing this by the way.

I’m in on that group order with Hartmann’s so I’m hesitant to add a separate Cara’s Choice order. I think email is the best way to contact them.

Good find Joe! They have some good choices and reasonable prices. A fair middle ground between Hartmanns and retail, and awesome that they have Cara’s in stock!