Carolina reapers

Anyone here grow them, if so what was your source and how did they do? Was thinking of growing a few for my hot head brother but after reading reviews on the major vendor of these I’m not sure if I want to waste the money if they aren’t going to germinate or be true to type.

I grew them a couple of years ago. Got them from the place you are probably referring to - Pepper Joe’s. I got the “Box of Dynamite”. I just checked, and I think the price is higher now than what I paid two years ago. Anyway, the seeds of all the varieties I grew had near 100% germination. I can’t complain other than being a tad pricey.

Good to know. I was reading a lot on the old garden website and saw a lot of unsatisfied people so thought I better check with a few people here. Guess I will take the chance and see what happens.

Off topic, but what is the attraction of growing a weapons grade (literally) pepper?

I live in the southwest and like spicy food as much as the next guy, but really, what’s the point?

I’m not sure what the attraction is, I guess it’s some kind of macho bragging rights. I myself have no interest in trying them but I enjoy growing anything. My brother loves hot stuff and has mentioned trying them multiple times so I’m gonna grow a few and let him go at it.

I grow reapers and other super hots because I like to make mammal deterrents with them. When my peaches are sprayed with Carolina Reaper solution the squirrels and opossums only ever take one fruit and never come back. Also powdered they make very fine seasoning. I would never actually eat one raw. I don’t grow them every year as a little goes a long way. I also make paprika, and my own chili powder. My favorite chili are the hatch green chili’s. I love the flavor of those nu mex peppers. Totally awesome. I use them in Mexican cooking as they are the basis for Mexican green or red sauces. Also make a wonderful chili powder when mixed with other peppers and roasted cumin. Once you use your own chili powders you have to keep growing them as I can’t eat that store bought junk ever again.
I also like to make pepper jelly. Many eat it with crackers and creme cheese. I myself use it for a glaze over chicken and pork. You get this spicy-sweet flavor that’s excellent. It tastes a lot like the Asian sauces although I have no idea how those are made? One could use them for Asian sauces too I guess? I never tried it. I don’t use super hots, but hot peppers for the jelly. The fish pepper makes a fantastic white sauce for fish, most awesome. I also use MOA (Ministry of Agriculture) Scotch Bonnet peppers to make jerk sauce. I have been to Jamaica four times and I’m totally hooked on jerk chicken.The bottled jerk sauces from Jamaica too are excellent, but it is fun to make my own.
I also grow them as they are wonderful gorgeous plants
Starfish pepper

Uyababa Pepper

Fish pepper

1 Like

Well Drew you are definitely the man to go to if I need any help with these. Those peppers look like they belong in a seed catalog. I hadn’t thought of drying them and using them in powdered form. Let’s hope I’m successful.

Peppers can be tricky to grow. I’m showing you my success not my failures! :camera:
Hots are the easist to grow. Super hots are harder. Germination is tough with super hots. You need some heat. I use a plant heating mat, with a thermostat. Also people tend to over water them too. They should be fairly dry almost completely between watering. As much light as possible too. Tomatoes need the most light. Peppers not so much.
Bell peppers are the hardest to grow here. I’m still trying different ones to figure out what grows well here, and bells do better where their is more heat. Hot peppers, many of them grow in mountainous regions at higher elevations so like the cooler summers we have here and grow the best of all peppers here.
Nu Mex Twilight

Black Pearl

Spanish Mammoth

Spanish Mammoth and Yellow Monster so far about the best bell types I have grown. Fruit developed really late though. See my figs are losing their leaves in that last picture, which is taken November 2nd. Very good flavor here, wow! I’m sure some hybrids may do better, these are open pollinated types (so you can save seed). I put the plant in my garage (It’s still there) and harvested till the first of December. I opened the door on sunny days.
A good hybrid and good sweet is Carmen. You can get seeds at Johnny’s. Not a bell, but a Bull’s horn you can use as you would any sweet. The only hybrid I have tried. I guess an Italian frying pepper. I love growing these plants!

drew how do you apply it safely on your plants to deter rodents? we have squirrels and possum armies here.

The stuff is dangerous to work with for sure! I use mask and gloves when prepping. First I dry it and powder it with a coffee grinder dedicated to peppers. I then just add 2tbsp per gallon of water. Add a sticker and keep spray nozzle fairly open. As much particulate matter is still in there. You could clog your sprayer. It only works on mammals (birds can’t taste it), and you should reapply after a heavy rain. I found squirrels can tolerate jalapeno heat, will still go for it, but the super hots are hundreds of times hotter.
From my photos you can see production is good. I don’t have any photos of reapers, I’m growing more this year. I’ll take some.
Here is the powder I have now, made from various hots and super hots.
It is lumpy as I don’t add artificial drying agents like what is in commercial products. You know those packets of silicon in various products to absorb moisture? Well you’re eating that with commercial products.

To use in food the very best way is to dry whole. You don’t totally dry them. These peppers are pungent and more flavorful than powder. You make pepper flakes with these when ready to use.
These particular peppers are from the 2014 season, they last a long time and do not go bad. They still are aromatic and delicious!

that is a fantastic idea. i’ve never heard of anybody doing that. i’m going to definitely do that see if it’ll keep the wild life away from the fruit.

i love super hot peppers. my wife bought some dried ghost peppers in a bottle. love to have it on various dishes to really turn up the heat.

Here is one of my favorites to grow. This Habanero Tree is 2 years old and it got to 9 ft. before I sold it

2nd year Tree Habanero photo Picture053.jpg