Che fruit

That is how my family and I feel about the fruit. I have a 5 year old niece that will eat anything but she won’t have anything to do with the che.

One of my best friends has a 4 year old son who wanders around my property eating anything. He will pick mulberries off the ground and eat them, He will eat plums on the ground that have been stepped on. he will eat anything, but he won’t eat che. The first time he tried one he got a weird look on his face, spit it out and threw it away.

Everyone hase of course a different taste.

I really like Durian … iam the only one in my familiy who likes it.

For “them” its inedible.

Ill just have to wait and see if i like the CHE fruit!

Maybe ill drive to Praha next year so i can try them!

My list is just a current state and will change in the future.

I have yet to try all the fruits of the Sapote familiy, the Jaboticaba ,the Star Apple etc …!

Sadly, they arent available here in Austria!

Maybe i can try them on a vacation in the future!

@jujubemulberry

^^

Its very expensive

The price of 500g Frozen Durian Mon Thong is around 12€ in vienna!

Its a nice expierence though.

Looks like Kornus Kousa

1 Like

yeah, that’s what i thought for an ‘extreme exotica.’ Surprised to hear they even sell it there!

btw, star apple pulp tastes almost exactly like a prime fully-ripe turkey fig. While the semi-sweet transparent flesh around the seeds have the texture and taste like cooked toddy palm fruit.

i find jaboticabas and white sapotes difficult to describe.

Everyone has different tastes but very few people like insipidly sweet, watery (not juicy - watery) fruits that have weird tough membranes between the watery segments. Almost everyone thinks che is OK when they first eat it because it is sweet and vaguely fruity, but I have never met anyone who likes it long term.

@Austro_PawPaw and i could eat durian–the jalapeno of fruits, so perhaps che will taste like mild and insipidly sweet bell peppers, :grin:

thankful you’re trying to do us a favor by proactively hinting about it not being worth the time and the trouble, but it is just so hard to grow long-lived fruit trees here, that any mediocre fruit tree which might survive piques my curiosity.

in fact so excited to hear che survived your 112F and high winds, but still-- at the back of my mind so worried and intrigued if it has enough mettle being removed from the frying pan and straight to the fire…

If you approach che as a tough and pretty ornamental you’re less likely to be disappointed by it. I’ve eaten almost every marginal fruit I can find like guomi, cornus kousa, cornus mas, wild prunus, wild berries, wild grapes, Arbutus unedo, and many different marginal tropical fruits and and they are all vastly superior to che. And keep in mind that I can’t find any critter, no birds, no bugs, and no insects that will eat it. It’s closest relative is osage orange which virtually nothing will eat either.

While far from from my favorite fruit, I don’t think it’s that bad. Maybe you have grown a inferior Che? I probably let over 20 folks try Che for the 1st time this year and I think all like it. Most commented on the sweet melon taste and reminding they of Raspberry. It fact most of my Family seemed to prefer it over Kaki persimmon brought them.

1 Like

Its actually pretty known
You can get it on or besides the “Naschmarkt” in Vienna.
If i am there i always get it from an Asian Food Store.
Though, some people dont like it if i eat it in public :grin:

The “Naschmarkt” is my #1 place for really exotic fruits.

Yellow Dragonfruit, Tamarind (Sweet), Jackfruit, Snakefruit and more common ones!

Maybe i like the Che though :3

I already love the fruits of the Weeping Mulberry (Morus Alba “Pendula”), where many people said that the fruits are insipid :3

1 Like

I’ve grown che from 5 or 6 different sources including the supposedly superior variety from Papaya Tree Nursery. They are all almost exactly the same. Almost everyone who tastes che the first time, including me and every member of my family, thinks it’s OK the first time they taste it. It’s a bit like sugar water and what’s wrong with that? The problem becomes when people eat more of them. The more they eat, the less they like it. My prediction for the 20 folks who tried your che is that in 3 or 4 years none of them will be eating it and when you ask them why, they will say things like “I just don’t like it”, It’s too watery, It’s insipid, It’s weird, or It’s disgusting. I’ve been feeding people che fruit since 1992 or 1993. Almost all of them liked it the first time they tried it. 2 or 3 years later none of them would eat it. There’s a reason that the Chinese call the fruit unwholesome. There’s a reason that people commonly report that birds, skunks and possums won’t eat it.With kaki persimmons many people don’t like the fruit the first time they try it, but the more they eat it, the more they usually like it.

1 Like

To me the fruit taste like a cotton ball dipped in sugar water with a weird aftertaste.

1 Like

this is really encouraging news, especially coming from you(who’ve lived here).

once i manage to get your reject suckers to fruit, then that’s when i start dealing with the reality of the ‘i told you so’ you’ve been trying to convey hahaha.
but still have high hopes for it. Still hoping the zero humidity and extreme summers here would actually have a positive effect on the fruits, and concentrating the flavor.
and if the fruits are truly no bueno, i actually find the tree(especially with fruits) very attractive and would serve as a nice conversation piece.

of the trees have grown all my life, the thorny, gnarly ones(contorted juju, seed-grown pommelo and trifoliate, etc) appeal to me the most.

According to the previous answers … this is a fake reaction right ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5_AAeS41sg

0:48

:laughing:

My favourite for everything tree/bush is still the pawpaw!

It has such a nice ornamental value.

I really love the look, beautiful tropical like foliage :smiley:

Cold hardy and the best part…

The fruits!

Tasty Tasty Tasty … one of, if not the best fruit that i have eaten (yet)

The BIG! bonus is that it can grow and fruit in the temperate climate zone.

Imo, it blows away all other austrian grown fruits if i compare the taste.

A unique plant which should be more popular!

4 Likes

yeah, even here in america it is not that popular. I also have it on my radar, even though almost certain it won’t stand a chance in my wicked locale.

For me, pawpaw hasn’t been as cold-hardy as che. They are very sensitive and temperamental about their environment. All my grafted ones have bit the dust before fruiting, so haven’t tasted improved selections, only have tasted seedling, and mostly seems like possum food. Yet, I am buying some grafted ones for next year, going to try some south facing hill microclimates.

Hmm.

They seem to grow pretty well in Guntramsdorf, Lower Austria Zone 6b.

I made a picture from a “big” PawPaw Tree that belongs to the nursery “Austropalm”

Its beautiful

And here are the PawPaws from Austropalm … Jujubes and the Grenadila are from the “Naschmarkt”

4 Likes

i sent a message, if you don’t see it, I can put my email here if you want

Of course it’s staged - it’s essentially an ad to promote che fruit. Mike McConkey owns Edible Landscaping and sells these trees. He probably sells more than anyone else in the US. He says other che trees are not seedless and they usually need a male to fruit. That’s not true and if he didn’t sell them he might admit that. They’re all seedless if no male is around. He is correct though when he said it didn’t need spraying. It doesn’t because nothing will eat the fruit. One of the best tasting fruits she’s ever eaten? Really? It looks like she ate only half of one fruit and despite this being one of the best fruits she had ever eaten she had no desire to eat another one? She stands in front of the tree for awhile talking and listening but doesn’t pick even one more fruit. And that’s what you eventually notice about che fruit, even the people who say they like the fruit somehow eat very few of them, if any.

3 Likes