Che fruit

Here is our first harvest of Che. Some were better than others. Over all, I think it was a good choice for a fun and different tree to have.
https://youtu.be/XVfm3rCtUEs

8 Likes

Your kids are adorable.

Do you have just the one tree?

Yes just the one tree. Its the only fruiting tree around this year. Everything else was frosted off. Even native osage and mullberries.

2 Likes

Joel, for me che is best when it comes off the tree easily. If you wait a little bit longer the fruit may improve a bit more.

2 Likes

they grow to about 4cm and the smallest ones are 2cm. Average is about 3cm… in a cooler climate they are one of the last fruit to ripen, at the same time or after chestnuts. They grow large first and then start to ripen. I a cooler climate they turn red just before the leaves start to turn yellow. they go on ripening even for a while after the leaves have dropped. In a cooler climate pollination is essential!!! The fruit is a bit chewy and tastes like marshmellow. a surprising fact is that the fruit can stand frost without any problem. You can leave it on the tree and it doesn’t rot or change color after being frozen. Of course over a long period it will go bad like any other fruit…

15 Likes

I just eat my first che fruit! We just love it!
It taste sweet mulberry+watermelon… Really good!

16 Likes

Thank you, seeing fruit growing with yellowing leaves raises my optimism. The fruit are currently about 2 cm at most and softening. I’ll keep everyone posted…

Scott

2 Likes

Nutritional Value

Che fruits provide vitamin C, an antioxidant to strengthen the immune system and reduce inflammation and contain lower amounts of thiamine, carotene, and riboflavin. The fruits also contribute some oligomeric proanthocyanidins, or OPCs, which are micronutrients found in the pigmented flesh with antioxidant-like properties to fight free radicals in the body.

https://specialtyproduce.com/produce/Che_Fruit_11146.php#:~:text=Che%20fruit%20are%20loaded%20with%20vitamins%2C%20like%20riboflavin%2C,OPCs%2C%20which%20help%20fight%20free-radicals%20in%20the%20body.

I am planning to grow a lot want males to try growing from seed as well, and breeding
or just selecting interesting seeds

Will look into a seed sources (NAFEX Indiana nut growers MIDFEx etc.)
Already got a lot of Osage orange rootstock as well.

Of coarse I will grow out seedless as well for fruit too.

Unfortunate to have no land (I work at home with family and it is a city lot
)but maybe it could be a oikios type thing
selling unknown seeds (or have a tree with a ton of grafts on a few trees at my friends small farm.)

HI Mikatani,
Thx for the share. Just a question i am located in france in a temperate climate zone 8. The nursery who want to sell me the cudriana say that it need mediteranean climate if not no fruit.
I have hot summer and cold winter. I want a seedless tree. The question is seedless are better tasted or not ? And if i grow a male next to it… do i really need it
Thx

2 Likes

I have it too and i think you will not have any problem to grow it. I think it’s better a sedless one. Mine is seedless and it’s great. If you grow a male near, it will get seeds…

Thx, where are u located luisport ? I just hope do get fruit, like waiting many years without putting a male and don’t having fruit because of cold, will make me very disapointed.

2 Likes

I’m from central Portugal, 9b. But this tree is very cold hardy so you should not worry…

2 Likes

It does not need a Mediterranean climate. It will fruit in very hot summers.
Male trees will add seeds to the fruit. The seeds are not edible. There is no reason to have a male tree. It does not add flavor to the fruit.

2 Likes

Thx. It is clear.
Did you try the fruit with the seed? Is it good or taste bad? Just for to know.

Thx

1 Like

What is the size of your seedless tree on maclura rootstock?

It’s not very big… 1,5m more or less…

1 Like

The fruit with seed tastes exactly the same as fruit without seed.

1 Like

0oh OK so you have a young tree. As it is expected to reach at least 6m hight right

1 Like