Che, mulberry, osage orange, fig grafting

Clark,

Good news for now.

The Osage orange interstem is pushing green bud.

Che on Mulberries. They all pushing green buds.

I am very excited because every trial grafts either Osage Orange on mulberry, Osage Orange as an interstem then on Mulberry, Che on Mulberry are pushing green buds. More weekly photos to follow.
Hallelujah!!!

Tony

5 Likes

Looks very promising Tony though we both know it will be a few weeks before it will take off or fail. If che take to mulberry that would be fantastic news for us since mulberry is plentiful here.

2 Likes

Today I added Osage orange on mulberry as a test and will later post the results.

3 Likes

Look at those thorns :confounded:

1 Like

Nice top work there Clark. All the trial grafts buds still pushing for me. Have my fingers crossed.

Tony

2 Likes

The last step of the experiment was to try a few figs scions on mulberry.

Hopefully the che take on the wild osage orange or mulberry and are hardy to this zone. Many people discuss problems with che fruit dropping until they get fairly old so that may be another problem all together. I won’t discuss that a lot since it’s already been discussed here Che fruit

2 Likes

Week 3. Here are the update photos of the Che on Mulberry grafts and Osage orange interstem. They are still growing.

Tony

Che on mulberries.

Osage orange as an interstem for Che and grafted on mulberry.

2 Likes

Those look really good @tonyOmahaz5 . The che scions I added to mulberry 11 days ago are pushing growth already. The scions on osage orange have not pushed any growth yet. Part of it may be technique so before I forget to document it I used all cleft grafts to put the che on the mulberry. I used whip grafts to attach the che to osage orange. I used rind grafts to attach the osage orange to mulberry.The che on osage orange is seedless and the che on mulberry is both male and female varieties so scion could be influencing growth. Thank you @SMC_zone6, @tonyOmahaz5, @Derby42 for letting me help out with the experiment. It’s a project we needed to work on sooner but sometimes it’s hard to find the time and resources for these experiments. This is what the Che on mulberry looks like now

4 Likes

Looks really good! My Osage orange rootstock I moved to the yard has been super slow to leaf out. It does look like it has some small green buds forming. It took the transplant kind of hard.

1 Like

Jason,
How is the Pakistan mulberry you grafted to native mulberry doing? If that grows in zone 5 or 6 we can take the experiment a lot further next year. I like the fact your using caulking instead of wax or tar on grafts because that may allow me to graft much later than if I used wax and still keep my seal on the grafts. As your aware later grafts are much more successful on mulberry, che, and osage orange but the warmer weather works against us on the wax making the seal. Trees always have some shock when you move them and osage orange are not typically vigorous until they get a little age on them.

1 Like

Here is the last photo I took of the pakastan on wild mulberry. I checked last night and all three trees I grafted are showing good signs. This one was grafted a few days earlier than the other two.

2 Likes

My main concern with the pakastan is winter hardiness. There is a wide range of opinions and experiences. Maybe because of misidentified pakastans??

1 Like

Fortunately by us doing these experiments they will pay off significantly for other grafters later. They will learn from our mistakes whatever those might be. Your grafts look excellent!

1 Like

Yes, it really will answer questions we have. Thanks, I am hoping that there are some female pakastans catkins hidden in those leaves, giving me the opportunity to taste one. I also plan ( I know, counting chickens before they hatch) on taking some scion wood before it gets really cold here.

1 Like

The Osage orange I grafted on mulberry a week ago started to bud today

3 Likes

Looks good,This is the one I really am curious to see, it would allow you to use OO as an interstem for the Che on mulberry roots.

1 Like

If we are right about mulberry it may be a better rootstock than osage orange. We will know shortly and may find out why no one is using it as a rootstock. May have che the size of mulberries or maybe the size of hedge balls! Could be the rootstock will not influence the fruit at all.

2 Likes

Lol, Che the size of a hedge apple would really be something.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

They will likely make a gmo for that soon enough.

1 Like

Probably in the works in some lab as we speak.

1 Like