Che, mulberry, osage orange, fig grafting

Phil,

That is good to know. I will try to root some green cuttings of hte Pakistani and the rest of the mulberry grafts next Spring just for trial. I will update the results later in the Summer of 2017. BTW, thanks again for the Seedless Che scions for this experiment.

Tony

1 Like

My seedless che came from a different source so that will be a good test as well. We are using the same osage orange to graft to so that will give us some very good information. Chances are the seedless che came from edible landscaping but I have read where they suspect che can be genetically different on the same tree. It will be interesting to see the results and I guess now we wait.

1 Like

Clark,

Phil got his Seedless Che from the USDA. EL may donated it to the USDA or it came from China.

Tony

1 Like

Just Fruits and Exotics has a few named varieties of Che that I havenā€™t noticed anywhere else. I think this might have been the first year they offered them.

1 Like

Their varieties look excellent. Everyone likely knows but che is aka mandarin melon berry among other names http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/JFE/product-category/fruit-trees/mandarin-melonberry/ .

1 Like

Tony,

Correct I obtained mine from ARS USDA a few years ago
DMOR 47 Maclura tricuspidata Carriere Cheā€™ Seedless and they list McConkey, Mike, Edible Landscapes as the donor So it should be same as E.L.

1 Like

the short-internode alba is frequently sold as ā€œeverbearing dwarf morus nigraā€, and reportedly tissue cultured and not grafted. Received them as toothpick-calipers 3" tall in little pots on their own roots, so perhaps they were really tissue-cultured.
good luck on the paki. Zone 5 is way low for pakistani at least thatā€™s what i see on the web, but never say never!

2 Likes

RAF,

Thanks for that infos on the short internodes mulberry.

Clark,

Here is the photo of the 3 weeks old rooted Male Che cuttings from Hidden Spring Nursery.

Tony

2 Likes

Those look excellent! I canā€™t wait to see them later! They are growing very good.

1 Like

looking at the pictures here, appears to me hidden springs nursery is one awesome nursery. Their amazingly reasonable prices often made me wonder if they might have the same business model as willisā€™ nursery, but evidently cheap does not always translate to foolā€™s gold.

1 Like

That ā€˜Norrisā€™ Che at JF&E would have originated from the ortet, planted at the Norris Dam on the Clinch River, a TVA site over in east Tennessee. Iā€™ve seen photos that Cliff England sent, of that Che and a bunch of seedling jujubes that were planted at the Norris site, probably back in the 1930s era.

I canā€™t recall who sent me my original Che scionsā€¦ either came from a friend on the TN/VA border or another one in MSā€¦ not sure where either one got their start from.

1 Like

Thanks for the background on them Lucky.

Now the Che and Osage orange grafts are doing great for about 4 weeks. My prediction is that they are compatible to mulberry understocks. So far a total of 15 grafts are doing great and that is a 100% took. I will take more photos each week to keep you guys updated. I also included a couple of Pakistan Mulberry grafts.

Tony

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad you and Clark are testing the boundaries but, I think itā€™s a little early to call those successful grafts. Sorry to be pessimistic but, I have found mulberry to have compatibility issues. I was sadly not able to successfully graft weeping (white) mulberry to red Mulberry. Pakistan Mulberry will not enjoy Omaha Winters.

1 Like

This is great news if it holds out. I remember passing over some che scion at the last swap, but if it can grow on mulberry, Iā€™ll definitely pick some up next time. Kind of surprised that folks would have tried it on osage before mulberry, though.

1 Like

Tony,
Grafts look really good. I will post pictures soon.
39thparallel,
Your right It is to early to say about the grafts only time will tell.

Looks great! From the second and third picture, Tony, it sort of looks like youā€™ve got a lake or river behind your house. Hard to tell though.

1 Like

These is a creek called Deercreek. So I do have lots of deers. So I installed the deer fence in the background.

Tony

1 Like

39th, I hope that I donā€™t have the compatibility issues you mentioned with some mulberry grafts I made putting Illinois Everbearing on morus alba stock. How long did it take for you to realize yours didnā€™t take? Mine seem to be okay thus farā€¦ IE is a hybrid m alba- m rubra , hope that makes the difference.
Clark, Tony- thanks for sharing this experiment, chimeras are interesting beasts!

1 Like

I know that white and red mulberry can hybridize so I donā€™t know why they should not be graft compatible. I noticed bud swell etc but after 4 weeks they have not leafed out.