Chestnut trees

I am certainly no chestnut expert, but I can tell you that I’ve tried a number of varieties here and none have survived more than 2 winters (and they were relatively mild) in central/west central MN. I think you’d also have some issues with ph as chestnuts like an acidic soil. I’d guess your native ph is close to 7?

I tested my soil last year and its 6.2, but thats at the surface, likely its more basic down a bit…

I am certainly no chestnut expert, but I can tell you that I’ve tried a number of varieties here and none have survived more than 2 winters (and they were relatively mild) in central/west central MN.

I have planted a couple chestnuts in 2014 and 2015 that have survived so far, but not growing very fast. We will see how they do after this winter’s -32F with only an inch of snow on the ground at that time. We are east of St. Paul at the edge of zones 3 and 4.

1 Like

I know of a guy who has some Dunstan Chestnuts alive and producing a few nuts just north of the Twin Cities. I’ll be a bit surprised if his survive this winter, but I suppose it’s possible. One guy I communicate with had -45 southeast of me about 40 minutes and another had -40 just a few miles from here. I “only” hit -36

1 Like

Castanea,
did you get my direct message? I think I finally figured out how to send them on here ( I hope!).

1 Like

Badgersett genetics will be your best bet in z4.

I had to file a complaint with the BBB to get my money refunded from Badgersett. I didn’t want my money back, I wanted what I had ordered. They refused to give me either until I filed the complaint.
Just sharing my experience

1 Like

Ouch, Ive hears some similar tales, too bad as the breeding work is good . Others do sell the genetics…

1 Like

Would you happen to know if Red Fern Farm in IA has any of the Badgersett genetics? If I were going to try chestnuts again, I think I’d go with R.F.F. stock.

Yes, Red Fern does. Every tree on the page linked below that says “Badger” is a Badgersett hybrid (and their seedlings are usually going to have much better quality nuts than the Badgersett trees) -

http://www.redfernfarm.com/index.php/product-category/chestnuts/

2 Likes