Chilling my greenhouse

Fruit-

One thing i’m trying this year is overwinter potted trees in a pit tunnel. I’m going to cover it with plastic…i already have all the trees in there…its only a few feet deep, but it should help protect them… I plan on throwing a temp sensor in there to see what happens.

Its been very mild here (i still have flowers with blooms on them)…but winter looks to show up late next week…I still have a nectarine (in the ground) with green leaves on it… weird.

What kind of plastic, clear? And how high above ground are the tops?

Hi @fruitnut, I assume you’ve ended your chill cycle in the greenhouse by now or at least will soon. For your spring, do you simply stop using evaporative cooling altogether while continuing to heat to 37 or do you gradually reduce the amount of EC to slowly increase high temps?

I ended Jan 1 at about 850 hrs Utah. Then ran 4 weeks at about 66/42. Now I’m at about 78/45 and pluot trees are approaching full bloom. I’ve done it a lot of different ways. Running 85/34 right now probably won’t be any different and would be less costly. But I’ve got bumblebees in there now and the warmer nights might stress them less.

1 Like

Spring is going to visit you soon big time me thinks

I never got around to the greenhouse but i bought a big roll of greenhouse plastic… getting there. Probably just build a small greenhouse out of wood just for the spring …mostly for veggies and seedlings.

1 Like

Ya no kidding. Another very early bloom. Some of my buddies outdoor trees were full bloom in January. We usually get freezes into April.

Way too early for me as well. Pluots are getting very close to opening.

My Flavor Supreme is breaking dormancy ahead of Flavor King. Last two years, it was the other way around. Hopefully, I get some decent bloom and set on FS.

No fair…i know you are near here…

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=psr&sid=KMRF&num=72&raw=0

I was at 23F :sunny:

I would assume you could easily warm your greenhouse to 100F on a day like today?

With such cold overnight temps…to you try to “bank” heat for the night with these warm days?

Yes 100F easily even on a cold sunny day. It was about 65F today and without ventilation the greenhouse would easily hit 120F. Our UV index is already at 5 out of 10. The sun is pretty high at noon down here at 30N of equator.

Trying to save that heat doesn’t work well without an underground heat storage system.

1 Like

96F in Texas yesterday… Summer comes early down there

@fruitnut

Has everything been going ok this year with preparation for spring? Are you recovering ok from the heater failure?

1 Like

I still don’t have a working heater. But it’s been mild, only one night below freezing since late Dec. I’ll get it figured out.

2 Likes