Chinese Sweet Pit Apricot

My the only Chinese sweet pit apricot ripened today and was eaten.
It was medium sized, juicy, soft, medium sweet with good apricot flavor.
It grows on the northern part of the house this is probably why it was 11 days later than Tony’s.

1 Like

I’m going to ask you the same thing you asked tony 10 days ago…did you taste the pit, and if so was it sweet?

I dug the pit out of compost pile. It tasted without bitterness. So it is probably the real sweet pit apricot.

Question out of curiosity: are most of the commercial varieties offered in US with a bitter pit?

Yes.

nice. FYI, part of the reason I asked was related to this recent story and thread about possibly using pits in recipes.

This was the reason why I wanted to plant a sweet pit apricot, so I can use seeds as a bonus.
But no cyanide for me.

1 Like

Thank you. That explains this thread.

1 Like

Here in the U.S, the sell of bitter apricot kernels is illegal.

I wonder if I cross my peach x almond hybrid with a sweet pit apricot, will the result be a novelty fruit with both edible flesh and pit? Will the Peamondcot be the a sucess or a failure?

I might get a couple of peamondcots this year, but the seeds will not be edible as they are crosses between my peachmond and F1 Moorpark Apricot. Thus, I will be using them as rootstocks.

Tony,

Very nice harvest! Is this Sweet Pit same as the Mormon (Chinese) Apricot?

Tom

Tom,

Yes, they are the same.

Tony

Thanks Tony.

That means I probably will get some next year then! I have a grafted Mormon onto my Elberta since last year and it grew over 5’. This year, I cut it back to about 10" and it grew about 4’ by now with 3, 4 major branches.

I assumed that it’s nice to have some apricot to tie over while waiting for the peaches to ripe…

Hmm…

1 Like

Tony,

Even though most ads says the pit is sweet and eatable, I feel a bit reserved regarding consuming it in any format. What’s your take on this?

Tom

That could/should be possible, but it will be a matter of time and quantity. If you devote enough years of crossing and backcrossing, and grow enough trees after each cross/backcross. But I doubt that anything good enough will grow the first 2-3 generations. Of course that is just an educated guess.

1 Like

Need advice on grafting Sweet Pit Apricots & possibly almonds.
My Flavor Supreme Pluot died this past summer, BUT the rootstock (Myrobalan 29C) suckered and I allowed it to do so in hopes I could graft onto some of the many healthy suckers. I would like to graft Sweet Pit Apricots and possibly try grafting almonds onto some of the suckers.
Does anyone have a source for Sweet Pit Apricots scions?
Any thoughts on grafting almonds onto Myrobalan29C?

I can send as much as you care to have… :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Tony,

I am considering Sweet Pit apricot for my frontward orchard. It’s in SE corner of Vermont zone 5b.
What has been your experience with that tree since 2016? The fruit pictures just look so lovely!
I know I am pushing it with the cots here but a girl can dream, right?

Thank you

1 Like

Hi Tom,

I am considering Sweet Pit apricot for my frontward orchard. It’s in SE corner of Vermont zone 5b.
What has been your experience with that tree since 2016? Your growing conditions are as difficult for apricots as mine.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi Maria,

What has been your experience with that tree since 2016? Both your climate and mine are challenging for apricots but I love them so much!

Thank you

1 Like