Chlorine Dioxide for a Bacterial Spray

It is cheap, and relatively safe to use… So I am wondering if it is effective and people have experienced using it for spraying Peach, Cherry or similar trees.

I can only find information on it being used post harvest to clean and improve shelf life of fruits. Maybe there is a reason for not using it on the trees themselves?

Some discussion found on Houz…

Scott F Smith

14 years ago

Hman, I think you are referring to Monterey Garden Fungi-Fighter which is propiconazole, not fenbuconazole.

Bleach would have a similar effect to peroxide which is in fact used in some spray regimens. The primary weakness of peroxide is it is a one-shot deal and there will be no residual effect. Another similar spray is phosphorous acid. My guess is there is some reason why people don’t spray bleach, e.g. the downwind neighbors get really annoyed at the smell or its really bad for the lungs of the sprayer to be awash in the stuff for a long time. Or, it could be these one-shot sprays are just not worth doing in dormant season because they have no residual effect and so their effectiveness is minimal.

Scott"

H2O2 does what chlorine does and is safer to the user and surfaces.

and what about this recipe to mix H202 with vinegar?

What bacteria are you trying to control on stone fruits?

1 Like

both vinegar and h202 are acidic, so if you use both then be careful, also unfiltered apple cider vinegar has good bacteria which h202 would kill. I have used each separately, never together. I have no idea if they helped, I have no idea if there would have been problems if I didn’t use it, It has to be long term to know for sure

1 Like

First my thought was for sterilization on tools, but then i am also wondering if it works for spraying on trees. I likely have almost all the disease that plague peaches… gummosis, and leaf curl are the most common I think and canker on cherries.

1 Like

For tools I think it would be better to stick with the usual agents- bleach, alcohol, and lysol. I don’t think Chlorine Dioxide is going to work any better.

Using it as an anti-bacteria agent probably isn’t going to work well. Chlorine Dioxide is a gas. Usually it’s sold as a solution in water but as soon the solution dries on the tree the Chlorine Dioxide is going to be lost to the atmosphere. So the material will have no persistence. Most anti-bacterial agents and fungicides have a fair amount of persistence. They still work for days or weeks after application depending on which one it is and the environmental conditions.

Plus your going to have to spray it and I don’t think you want to breath a Chlorine Dioxide mist any more than you want to breath bleach. Technically it’s illegal to spray it since it was never tested on fruit trees and there is no label that tells you how to safety use it and what concentration you should use (at least in the United States… Germany maybe different).

You can spray Daconil for peach leaf curl and it works. For canker you can spray copper and cut the cankers out. Peach gummosis is harder if it’s fungal but I don’t think Chlorine Dioxide is going to be helpful.

You might take a look at this thread on using bleach as fungicide and people discuss issues that will carry over to the use of Chlorine Dioxide.

1 Like