Citation rootstock

How did your nitrogen dump do?

Was wondering in recent years has anyone successfully rooted citation by cuttings? Attempting it this year with tree pots and dormant stock taken from in-ground tree. Will keep up to date if anyone else show interest.
Does anyone have a link to what can be grafted into this successfully? In general, not specific cultivars.

1 Like

Citation is used mostly for plums and apricots.

Ok great. Nice to know. I have a nectarine on citation and some pluots.

Citation itself is a plum, but as a root stock is used for Peaches and Nectarines. Most of my peaches and nectarines are on Citation.

Here is a quote from DWN re rootstocks:
Citation - Peaches and nectarines dwarfed to 8 to 14 feet. Apricots and plums dwarfed to 3/4 of standard. Very tolerant of wet soil, induces early dormancy in dry soil. Very winter hardy. Resists root-knot nematodes. Trees bear at young age. (Zaiger)

I have never tried rooting stonefruit cuttings but would like to hear form those who have. I have small Citation tree that grew from a failed bareroot peach. I am currently attempting to Air Layer some of the branches. Will report on results, hopefully by April.

3 Likes

I have successfully rooted my peach x almond hybrid from cuttings. I rooted them with rooting gel. I dipped the cuttings into the gel cups. Then about a month later, I planted them in the soil and it look three more weeks for them to form roots.

Here are Citation facts from University of California.

The worst thing about Citation is crown gall in my area. Almost all trees ended up getting them. Iā€™m now grafting all plums on myro 29c rootstocks. Peach and nectarines on lovell.

3 Likes

Myro 29c rootstocks is much worse in my location. Citation get more bacterial canker.

Same here with the failed tee. My air layers all failed both with dip and grow hormone and without. Going to try a few dormant cuttings along side the figs this winter.

Ditto.

2 Likes

If you are in a hot area, citation has incompatability with most peaches.

Reading this thread is making me wonder if my FlavorKing pluot is really on Citation. I got it from ACN in 2012. This rootstock suckers quite a bit. I cut off 3 foot tall suckers, transplant, and graft onto them after moving it. Donā€™t have any other issues with it except it comes out of dormancy too soon many years. Wonder what it could be.

Are the suckers red? If they are, itā€™s citation.

1 Like

My Flavor King on Myro29 put up a 4ft sucker before I knew what was happening this year. Never seen any sucker grow so fast, and I have M7 apple treesā€¦

My Geo Pride on Citation has grown just as well as my other two pluots on Myro, and no root suckers that I can tell.

2 Likes

@itheweatherman
No they arenā€™t red. Hmmmm. ACN still shows on their website that FlavorKing is on Citation.
This past spring I grafted 2 different nectarines and plum scions on this rootstock and they all grew very well.

1 Like

@subdood_ky_z6b
ACN also notes their plums are on Myro. Possible that mine could be Myro. :+1:t3:

Just a FYI, my 3 pluots are from Bay Laurel Nursery (California), planted in 2018. My other Myro tree is a Dapple Dandy.

1 Like

I donā€™t know why nurseries still graft peaches on citation rootstock, even in the trials half the trees died. I have not had a peach tree make it over a year on citation. Lovell is the way to go here in Northern California!

4 Likes

I have 3 peaches that are 3 or 4 years old on citation. When they donā€™t die right away they form really nice sized tree with excellent fruit quality.

2 Likes