Citrus Leaves for Human consumption (EDIT: Toxic PhytoPhotoDermatitits Reaction Had)

Thanks for sharing, I know now not to eat them.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of anyone else actually eating Citrus leaves. People typically use them as a seasoning similarly as how bay leaves are used (cook them in the dish, but remove prior to serving).

I wish you a speedy recovery.

1 Like

I think in Thailand it is commonly up to the eater to know what to eat and what not, lemon grass, lime leaves, chicken bone shards, and so forth are served.

2 Likes

Phytophotodermatitis can be serious (think giant hogweed) but is often overlooked despite being a property of a lot of common plants. Raw celery, especially from drought-stressed or heavily predated plants can cause it.

The furanocoumarins that are responsible for phytophotodermatitis in citrus can also cause significant drug interactions. They are why doctors tell you not to eat grapefruit if you are taking medications like some statins, antidepressants, and blood pressure treatments. Makrut lime has very high levels of furanocoumarins, so I would take that into account if you are planning on using them in a dish.

4 Likes