Clark's Small Yellow Pear

You do them well too. Real clean looking.

Dax

2 Likes

Dax,
Thank you! Mentioned in other posts but not here the small yellow pear will set two crops sometimes. You can see both crops in these photos I took today.

6 Likes

Edit: meant to reply specifically to Clark.

Dax

2 Likes

Sweeeet.

I thought I’d have some fun today and T-bud a flat of oaks. Well, they wouldn’t have anything to do with me. That flat has tattered and crispy leaves so I didn’t water enough to have fully slipping bark. There be the culprit.

Going to plant the pear tomorrow; a few other grafts that have gotten good size from 2015. And, I believe the Japanese beetles are nearly gone for this year.

Thanks for the info.!

Dax

2 Likes

Finish the thread on my part with a planted “Small Yellow Pear”

Dax

8 Likes

The small yellow pear is ripening today (August 11th) so I thought someone might appreciate a few pictures. Remember when they are totally ripe they fall from the tree and your to late. The good news is one or two ripen earlier than others. You can’t depend on the tilt test with this pear. I’ve checked them daily over a week now. The tilt test works but your window is less than half a day so when the first one ripens and you tilt it and it breaks off or the wind does it for you immediately harvest all the others. The pears will not keep long and will have a yellowish green color when ripe. The finest pear I’ve ever had! They make clapps favorite pear look like a bad pear and it’s considered excellent!

12 Likes

You lucky dog you. Eating those right now.

Thank you for the info. A lot of people on here don’t realize that I am not fluent in practices or especially abbreviations. Gosh, insects & disease and cultivar abbreviations are work. Don’t pamper me though, I’ll eventually become fluent.

And back to the point, thank you.

Dax

3 Likes

I’m careful about how I pick them but got a 5 gallon bucket off the tree. They bruise easy so they are slow picking and hard to keep! If they turn yellow on the tree they will be rotten inside. Tommorow time permitting I’ll finish picking them.

7 Likes

How did you get permission to plant fruit trees on that golf course :wink:

8 Likes

I’ll be most obliged if you’ll join me for a beer at the clubhouse, Jafar. It’s right around the bend.

Dax

5 Likes

I grafted this Pai Li :pear: AKA Beijing White with the scion from the USDA Corvallis a few years back. It produced these nice round plum size pears. My wife really like the mildly sweet taste with a hint of European in them.

Tony

7 Likes

Great looking pears Tony!

4 Likes

@Barkslip
How are the small yellow pears doing? Curious if anyone growing them is getting close to time for them to fruit? The small yellow pear is quite unique with its occasional thorns as a baby, small delicious yellow fruit, 2 crops a year many times etc. Those charateristics are very unusual!

I was collecting scions from the Walmart tree I grafted and it’s getting up there. 8’ I suppose and 4’ wide.

The smaller grafts I sold one I think and lost all the rest to winter inside my hoophouse.

Dax

1 Like

Going to check again if anyone else got blooms this year?

Not seeing anything yet- but the graft is just a year old, so it’s too early anyway. All the scions I grafted took off nicely, so I’m excited - Thanks, Clark!

1 Like

Glad to hear that @marknmt

No blooms here.

Dax

2 Likes

Second leaf. No bloom.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see others getting fruit! Dont expect much the first year but the pears improve the next year or two. I t-budded another in July 2016 and it has flowers this year. The other small yellow pear I tbudded im top working over. These pears dont keep long enough than to have 2 trees.

2 Likes