Clove currants - great smelling blooms & delicious fruit!

Young plants often don’t produce well till older. Mine is suckering too, it’s going to be a patch before I know it!

3 Likes

:astonished: holy wow that’s a lot of berries! Should be able to do whatever you want with them this year! Jam?

I’m hoping mine bushes out like yours. I was really glad to see fresh canes. The original two branches are really brittle and break easily. They do taste grapey, i was shocked when i tried one. They are very different from blackcurrant. I have only tried consort black, and nobody here liked it. The musk was too…musky. haha. I used it to make syrup like elderberry syrup for winter time colds, it tastes medicinal to me. Crandall however will be great fresh eating.

2 Likes

where did you get your plants? mine were at least 12in. tall. got them from HBUSA and burnt ridge nursery.

1 Like

I want to say burnt ridge but i can’t remember 100%. When it arrived it was probably around 12" tall, but two spindly sticks.

1 Like

Sometimes., I mostly make syrups. Although some jam every year.
With a syrup you have numerous options for use.

3 Likes

My golden currants are loaded this year…

6 Likes

Are clove currants primarily attractive to people who don’t like traditional black currants, or are there some people who like black currants, but who like clove currants even better?

When my Crandall finally fruited, I found myself disappointed with what seemed a very simple flavor that lacked the character, and ironically, the spiciness of black currants.

I think red and white currants can be gorgeous too, but find them pretty one-note in flavor. Black currants are a fruit I look forward to both fresh and cooked, but prefer any number of berries to red, white, and apparently clove.

2 Likes

I’m with you Jafar. i prefer the euro. black currant esp. for juice and jam but I’ve only had consort so far. i just put in 3 tiben. heard they were better for fresh eating. i eat consort off the bush but i can’t eat a lot of them before the taste gets overwhelming. i find crandall has some taste similar to concord grape but still different. for fresh eating its better but maybe tiben will change my mind.

1 Like

i hope my goldens are actually ‘golden’ . according to the CO nursery i got them from they’re supposed to be reddish orange. they’re just leafing out so no flowers just yet.

1 Like

All mine are natives that popped up on their own… one is so deep red when fully ripe it’s almost purple, all the rest are orange/golden. I think the reddish one has the best flavor.

3 Likes

been looking for a currant with that orange/ red color. could i hit you up for some cuttings next spring?

6 Likes

I too like the black currants better. It appears to be an aquired taste. Many folks find them disgusting. Cat pee was a description I have heard before. :full_moon_with_face:

Nice to know the darker goldens are better.

2 Likes

my wife says they smell like skunk! they are musky, no doubt! i love pruning mine. like rubbing a tomato plant.

2 Likes

Just touching them releases the scent.

3 Likes

Third year clove currant, this is the first year they’ve had a noticeable smell. Worth the wait.

15 Likes

nice Katie. last year when mine bloomed it looked solid yellow from a distance but didn’t set much fruit. hopefully i get more this year as its tasty. mines in year 3 also.

4 Likes

Huh, I wonder why low fruit set? This one is surrounded by other currant bushes, wonder if that will have any effect.

2 Likes

not the same type of currant. mine is still young and i think the birds grabbed some of my young fruitlets. its also in a dryer gravelly section of the yard that i can’t really get to regularly to water. i do have it mulched heavily.

4 Likes