Cold hardy figs

The low cordon sounds intriguing, and I’ll look seriously at it. I truly enjoy pruning, and that system looks fun and artistic. I really wouldn’t be upset if I lose a little vigor or productivity because space is not a constraint for me.

Everything in my orchard is planted on hills, which may be a challenge for bending and burying.

1 Like

New to the fig world. Just planted a bare root Olympian from Indiana Berry in May. Took about 6 weeks to get a sign of growth. Lots of scratch tests! Here’s what it looks like today. I wasn’t sure, but I just removed all the wood chips immediately around it. It was quite moist. I also piched it around 4 times. After reading this thread, it seems quite daunting growing figs… even though I’m in 7a. However, I’m probably going to attempt putting at least a couple more in the ground here. Definitely an HC. Not sure about the other(s). Open to suggestions!

1 Like

VdB has survived in 3 gallon container outdoors for two years now in Kentucky. Burnt to ground, but came back nice. No fruit.
(Of course, both winters milder than normal at 13 and at 9 for lows.)

Chicago Hardy and one I’ve lost the tag to had about the same results.

How are all you fig growers doing in the cold climates? I used to grow white figs and black figs in L.A. for decades. But moved to the Rustbelt and that was it for fresh figs for me.

I’m in 6 - 6a now. Tired every fig I could except Olympian. Was very hopeful with Chicago Hardy, but they all died back to the ground in winter. Some came back up in the Spring, to give it another go, some didn’t. But none ever produced fruit as they all died back every winter. I gave up a few years ago and planted something else.

I also tried the growing in pots routine. But did not work out for my schedule. I guess it would work if I had a big greenhouse and auto watering system and no deer.

What has it been like for you with your cold weather figs?

Yeah in ground is not good here, zone 6. But in pots I get about 300 to 500 figs each year. Lot’s of work. Luckily I have an attached garage. Stays about 40F in there. It’s perfect to overwinter. Now growing pomegranates in containers too. I have a couple sub tropical mulberries in there too.

Drying some for winter treats, I do this all late summer, my dehydrator never stops.

2 Likes