Columbia giant blackberry

I have several Himalayan x Evergreen Hybrid
plants. For some reason
they frequently cross locally.

Have a few extra to spare for a local gardener.

Hello does any one have columbia giant ripe yet?

Mine are not wonā€™t be for about a month. I donā€™t get many as bird predation gets a lot. Taste is ok but I prefer interesting flavors. Like boysenberry or newberry are my favorites. Then kotata and Columbia start last. Birds again on thornless along with rabbit damage. I hardly get anything touching kotata due to thorns even rose stem girdler leaves it alone. But there so thorny that it makes anything else seem thornless.

I have tried to buy some newberry but i did not find any in europe. And seeds do not sell anyone. I am curious to compare with other berry.

Could you post pictures of your Kotata? Iā€™m interested in stem and leaf details because Iā€™m growing a supposed Kotata but Iā€™m not at all sure thatā€™s what I actually have. Theyā€™re very thorny for sure and somewhat floppy.

@BerryAllen ill take some pics Iā€™m at work right now. Right now the canes are floppy for sure as there growing and easily damaged.

@BerryAllen here you go
image image

Thanks! Very helpful. They donā€™t look identical to mine but Iā€™ll have to take a look when I get back home. It baffles me how some nurseries can keep on selling cultivars under wrong labels but it happens. Mine had flowers that were a bit pinkish and that got me thinking.

6 Likes

Hereā€™s what Chris Bowers sold me as Kotata. I donā€™t think they look very similar at all. Mine looks like it could be a semi trailing variety of some kind. I was aware that the nursery didnā€™t have the best possible reviews but itā€™s still quite disappointing to pay for something you didnā€™t actually want.

Yeah Iā€™ve had it happen to me. You buy it wait till it fruits and find out wrong variety. That is definitely not kotata. Not sure what it is. Sorry canā€™t be any more help. Maybe look to see what berries they sell and try process of elimination.

Blackberry looks like a healthy food.

Those tayberries look great! Where did you purchase them?

I donā€™t remember but they are sold all over.
Raintree has them and Iā€™m sure many other nurseries do too.

1 Like