Concrete block raised beds?

I’ve done it before then people on the inter web told me it’s not good, something toxic, but I can’t remember the exact wording. Only one block level.

That was old cinder blocks that used fly ash. That’s not used in modern production.

3 Likes

I did a test fit tonight. They still need more time to cure, but went together pretty nicely. The white is just caulk remnants.

9 Likes

Here they are put together and filled. I overfilled a few in anticipation for some settling. The big one is over a shallow hugelculture bed I added a few years ago. I didn’t want to dig that up.

I think they turned out good. I’m not sure if it was worth the effort or not though. That being said I’ll probably make more.

12 Likes

Looks great! How much does each block weigh?

2 Likes

Aound 70 lbs probably. It took a little less than an 80 lb bag of concrete for the 4 foot sections.

3 Likes

I have made 3 beds this year out of probably 60 concrete blocks. My dad collected them over the years and i dont really see me using them for anything else.

I put down leaves in the bottom about a few inches thick then water them down and walk them in good and tight. Then i fill in with topsoil and biochar, then manure then shredded leaves then compost. I stuffed all the holes of the blocks with leaves and am still trying to figure out what im going to put in the holes… maybe garlic… maybe some short zinnias or marigolds… or catmint.

Im growing garlic in all of the beds this year as everything rots and settles in over the winter.

2 Likes

@Travis that looks a lot of work. Hope you have a cement mixer. Looks great.

3 Likes

Thanks! Just a wheelbarrow and a hoe. I did a few on the weekends when I had time so it was spread out over the summer.

3 Likes