Container size for strawberries

thats a great idea! and those wood chips would swell and retain water for longer also. you get a gold star! :wink:

1 Like

Similar to concept of hugelkulture

1 Like

Thanks all, lots of interesting info!

I have a drip setup in one part of my yard with 20 drips for 20 pots. If I use this spot - what is the ideal size pot for 1 or 2 bare root strawberries per pot? I don’t want to re-pot for 3 years. New plants after 3 years.

Here are some options -
Clay 12" high * 12" diameter $8.5
Clay 10" high * 10" diameter $5.3
plastic 2 gallon 8.5" $2.6
plastic 3 gallon, 10" $3.7
5 gallon fabric pot $3.6

I wonder if going with the clay/fabric pot is a better choice environmentally… and keep the roots cooler in summer?

1 Like

they are better, cheaper, more easily stored. the plants, in general, grow better because more o2 gets to the roots. if you get the brown or white ones , they won’t heat up the roots in the warm summer. amazon has some great deals on the vivosun is a good sturdy brand. store them in a dry place when not in use and you can get 4-5 yrs out of them. thats longer than most plastics last. id go with a bigger size if your using the fabric pot as bigger holds water longer. get a 20 gal and should be able to put 4 strawberries in there keep it to 6 -7 max.

1 Like

I wonder about using chips as a soil amendment for pots. Usually the chips suck up the N, but in a pot that would be a controllable factor.

2 Likes

If you mix chips in the soil - yes, they suck up nitrogen. But if they just laying as a layer in the bottom under a foot of soil (in pot or in raised bed ) only the top surface that touch the soil really takes some nitrogen of the soil. The rest only takes what is leaking from the soil when you water. I used wood pieces and chips to raise the uneven landscape for horizontal veggie beds, never had nitrogen issue.

3 Likes

I have this same question. What did you decide was the best size container for 1 or 2 bare root strawberries per pot? Right now, I own several 1, 5 and 15 gallon standard black nursery pots, but I can purchase other sizes…

id usualy go for 4l or 1 gallon soil per strawberry plant. Or more (more is better esecialy if you don’t plan to repot often)

I still love the inground plantings more, where possible.

2 Likes

All sizes worked well for strawberries. I have tried 1 plant in 1G pot, 2 plants in 5. 15 is an over kill but I guess you could plant 4 in those. I like growing strawberries in pots to better protect from slugs, etc… I don’t grow strawberries anymore.

1 Like