Cornelian Cherry (Cornus Mas)

I don’t grow plants in pots either but will leave my grafts in pots for the first year. I regularly leave temperate fruit outside, never hide it in unheated garage(it’s full of subtropicals like figs, pomegranades, young persimmons, pakistani mulberries etc.) and never saw any losses.
I even left bunch of 1 year old figs outside and while the tops of few of them died all resprouted from the roots. It was mild winter, only 18F minimum. I gave my inlaws young kiwi (deliciosa which is much more cold sensitive than arguta or kolomikta) the year before and they forgot it outside in a pot, it was 8F that winter and the plant survived! Of course plants like apples or pears will survive worse, cornus as well. I cannot comment on temperatures below 5F, we experience those once in 10 years.

1 Like

Here it\s always below zero a week or so here… Single digits although every ten years it hits double digits. My garage is filled with sub tropicals too. I’m getting a few pomegranates this year, first time. They are just about ripe.

3 Likes

Past two years…pots of cornelian cherry 100% survival in pots here in Kentucky.

Some later ripening varieties at my trial orchard

6 Likes