Cornelian Cherry Grafting

I have tried finding some information regarding grafting cornelian cherries and any rootstock options. I found the following article where they grafted cornus mas scion to cornus amomum rootstock. It looks like it keeps the overall tree (shrub?) size smaller with little if no other effects on the fruit other than producing less per plant.

Has anyone heard of grafting cornus mas to cornus amomum?

Thanks,

Matt

1 Like

Hello Matt as well everyone who is about Cornelian Cherry aka Kizil. This year I got zillion popped up from nowhere pin cherries on my farmland. The Ph of my soil is 4.4 based on the laboratory test so not many plants could survive on. I’m curious if anybody tried to graft cornelian cherry to a pin cherry. They both are “cherries” but obviously carrying different DNA. Any reply is welcome.

…and that’s it.

Thank you for the reply. Nevertheless, I’m gonna try to make 50 or so grafting. I have almost unlimited supply of rootstock as well гunlimited cuttings. Also I have a “green thumb” . I’m gonna try. Promise to report in July .

Mmmmm, dont think so. Theyre very distantly related. Intergeneric grafts are always same family at least, usually Rosaceae. You could try a different Cornus perhaps.

Ive tried dormant grafting Cornus mas in the field to no avail. Ive been told sunmer budding is the way to go. My problem is sourcing wood during that time of year.

1 Like