Could use some help picking out 2 dozen apple trees from this list

Judging by the high vigor and the one fruit I sampled from a young tree, Red Cinnamon Is a winner. tasty crab apples with a cinnamon flavor. Unless it is known by another name, it is very rare. It deserves representation in any diverse collection of apple trees.

2 Likes

This is what I’m thinking of adding for the 2 dozen apples (not all of which are on the lists) and some of which I might obtain from other sources. Any feedback on final decisions? I think for now I will not heavily pursue trees of hard cider types eg. harrison but rather grow those cider varieties such as Kingston black and harrison as I am now on multi-graft trees. Do you see any fireblight magnets on the list that must be removed? I’m basing this list largely on the opinions given so far. Thank you!

Chestnut
etters gold
newtown pippin
green newtown pippin
Saint Edmund’s
Goldrush (7)
Black Limbertwig (4)
Fuji (2)
Pitmaston Pineapple
Staymans
Enterprise
Mott’s Pink
Grimes Golden apple
Calville Blanc
Update
BTW I checked and have 4 ashmeads kernel trees already and 3 Arkansas blacks.

1 Like

39thparallel ,
How big are those cinnamon crab apples? Assuming those are a red fleshed apple?

1 Like

Looks like a good list. I would include at least one Rox, though.

2 Likes

Matt,
I’m a little concerned with disease on Roxbury Russet but have heard the apple is excellent. Have you had any problems with it? BTW are you growing Hooples Antique Gold? Wondering about disease resistance on Hooples Antique Gold.

1 Like

Your list looks good, includes many apples I have heard good things about but not tried myself. I would pass along that while M111 does fine up here, I have largely moved to B118 as a choice rootstock. It seems to do a bit better and have more vigor, but your conditions are somewhat different than my mtn location. I also am very fond of some of the newer apple releases: gold rush of course, Mantet (but it does not keep long), Zestar, Honey Crisp, Summer Crisp, and Cortland were our favorites. Lodi is a great early cooking apple and produces reliably and heavily but doesn’t store well. Good luck with your project.

2 Likes

Thank you Steve B118 seems to be doing ok here so far though they are still very new to me. I received some starks trees this year on B118. I grow 5 honeycrisp (4 mature) , Zester, Cortland but not the others. Honeycrisp are amazing apple trees!

1 Like

Red Cinnamon seems to produce golf ball size fruit.

2 Likes

I really wanted to grow this one but when I looked it up the first website said “One of the great American apple varieties, thought to be Thomas Jefferson’s favorite. Noted for its spicy flavor, and for its susceptibility to any and every disease afflicting apples.” -https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/esopus-spitzenberg. I will pay attention to your warning and theirs and skip this one.

1 Like

I have a good number of young Spitzenberg trees and have not seen and more disease than on them than other apples. I know it is grown successfully in the midwest and may be worth rolling the dice on.

2 Likes

39thparellel,
This list is it then. Know that’s Spitzenberg is going to come back and bite me later but hey I’m growing a clapps favorite pear so a Spitzenberg apple can’t be any worse right? Might as well live a little dangerous! King David might be something I will regret as well. Guess I can top work them later if necessary. The fact that they are on 111 is most important.

Chestnut
Etters gold
newtown pippin
green newtown pippin
Saint Edmund’s
Goldrush (7)
Black Limbertwig (2)
Fuji
King David
Spitzenberg
Pitmaston Pineapple
Staymans
Enterprise
Mott’s Pink
Grimes Golden apple
Calville Blanc
Roxbury Russet

4 Likes

Clark,
I have not eaten many apple varieties. That is why I am reluctant to put my two cents in.

I ate Stayman Winesap ( not sure if it is a different variety from Staymans ) at a farmer’s market in Vermont. It was disappointingly bland. Maybe, it was mislabeled or picked too early.

Last year when I researched apples to grow, I was convinced and went with Fuji and Golden Russet. I like fresh eating, sweet apples.

One of my tree made it to your list.
Don’t your want to take a secon look at Golden Russet? :grin:

2 Likes

Mamuang,
Golden Russet is reported to be a great apple but my understanding it’s very similar to Asmeads kernel which is why I overlooked it. Maybe someone can let me know if I’m way off on that. Stayman’s Winesap is a really good apple here because of our weather. I’ve heard people say like red delicious it’s all about location.

1 Like

Clark,
Your list looks great, in fact. It is diverse so you can use them for a varieties of purposes. I need to add a few more russet type to my own orchard.

This tread has been helpful to a lot of us. Thanks to you, Clark.

3 Likes

I have four different Fuji’s here, and zero sign of FB. And, we have a fair amount of FB issues here due to all the Bradford pear trees planted years ago as commercial trees. Fortunately, most of them have died a natural (or unnatural death), and have fallen out of favor as a commercial tree, so the FB pressure has lessened some. I know apple quality/taste can vary based on where you live, but my Fuji’s are always one step above anything else I have. They are simply outstanding. Crisp, juicy, sweet but also rich and complex. They are SO much better than what I can get in the store. I have a bumper crop that the rest is getting picked tomorrow. They’ve finally turned red. Gotta figure out what to do with a whole lot of excellent apples!! Thinking of buying a press for juice.

2 Likes

Clark, that looks like an outstanding list. Can’t wait to hear your future updates on them all.

2 Likes

No major diseases on my Rox yet, but it’s early days.

Stayman was discovered in Kansas.

I just planted Hooples several weeks ago… on 111 from Century Farm.

2 Likes

I see you went with both Newtown Pippin and Green Newtown Pippin. Is the current thinking that these are indeed different varieties? I read conflicting stuff on Newtown Pippin, Green Newtown Pippin, and Yellow Newtown Pippin.

2 Likes

Smsmith,
My understanding Is yellow and green Newtown Pippin are different varieties.

2 Likes

Patty,
Those Fuji sound excellent! God willing I will provide updates how they do. Many of the apples I grow now are doing well. If I had one thing I would have done different it would have been to do more planting.

2 Likes