Currants

I would try like Crandall, maybe sourced from a west coast distributor. Many strange currants are not grown much, probably for good reason, like Swamp currant. That may grow for you?

Picking local heirloom red currants, tart and delicious.

5 Likes

Beautiful photo.

1 Like

@JesseS

Just now saw your local heirloom red currant what a bush!

Have a jar of white !

Has anyone come to some sort of conclusion about the best tasting for fresh eating currant? In the past I grew Red Lake and a few black varieties. Red Lake was actually pretty good to eat fresh, but during the season they ripen, I found myself eating other fruits that I prefer way more. After thinking about it more… I imagine a pink or white variety might actually be worth growing to find out.

Pink are best for fresh eating. I like whites the least. I myself make syrups so I can sweeten them some although my syrups are not very sweet. I like to add them with other fruit like peaches to crisps, or for scones and such.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Drew. What do you not like about the fresh eating flavor of the whites?

Flavor seems lacking, even bitter. I like them better sweetened a touch. I don’t care for the flavor that much. The reds taste way better to me.

I had an Imperial White that I removed since I didn’t like the taste. Still growing Consort, Minaj Smyriou and Black September.

1 Like