D. lotus vs D. virginiana Seedling Comparison

This spring I decided to do a side by side comparison of D. Lotus and D. Virginiana in a 5 gallon community pot. Planted seeds on the same day and used the same potting soil. D. Lotus outperformed by a lot in these conditions.

6 Likes

Are these southern or northern DV?

The DV seeds came from @TNHunter. I don’t know whether they are southern or northern, maybe Trev can chime in. Great seeds, by the way, I had nearly 100% germination rate.

1 Like

@ramv … by location my sisters persimmons (rich tooie) should be 60c persimmons… it is in southern middle tn.

Way south of the ohio river…

Some here have suggested it might be 90c because of the size and quality, outatanding flavor.

Evidently in KY there are locations way south of the ohio where 90c persimmons have been found.

I planted rich tooie seeds a few years back… 3 seeds and got 100% germination… and a first season seedling that grew big and stout 42 inch tall.

The larger one now has Kassandra grafted to it… and the smaller one Nikita’s Gift.

TNHunter

2 Likes

This D.Lotus started this year it’s way more vigorous Than D.V.Im in Ireland.

1 Like

It must be a combination of climate and growing media that makes the difference. I’ve noticed that DV in our climate eventually takes off and grows really well. It’ll be interesting to see if DL continues to be more vigorous a few years from now.