Dig young trees now or later?

This spring I planted a few trees in my front yard. I’m going to move some of them to my back yard which is fenced. Now that they have dropped leaves is it more beneficial to replant at the end of fall or should I wait until just before spring?

Would the roots grow over winter?

The trees are North Star sour cherry, gerardi mulberry and two jujubes

Trees wouldn’t grow over winter. I think it’s better to move in spring before bud break to reduce any chance of winter injury.

I don’t think you get any new roots this time of the year at my location but from observing several years my trees do better next season the sooner I plant them. I always water them in to reduce water pockets. The ones I plant nearer to the warm season tend to need more care and grow slower. This has been my experience.

I wouldn’t be afraid to move them now if you had to. I

I’ve successfullt transplanted young trees in a mild Nov. and I’m in z3. I’ve read quite often that trees do continue growing into winter. We do normally have plenty of moisture then which i’m guessing helps. But Georgia is different than the upper midwest! It’s been discussed on other theads here and if you search for transplanting or planting in the fall you might find some info closer to your zone. For my orchard fall has worked well. It does depend on the weather, of course. This year our ground freezing cold started unusually early so no fall planting for me. Sue

2 Likes

Fall is the best time to transplant trees. Especially in zones 6 through 8. Only exceptions are trees that might drown or get root rot from planting holes that don’t drain well. Raised beds on small scale…or a SUBSOILER on large areas will solve that.

1 Like

Sorry my Zone is 7b, North Georgia.

I planted bulbs for the first time and Van Englen chose to send them a couple of weeks ago, saying it was optimal time to plant. They claim the roots will grow/establish while the top is dormant. I thought maybe a tree might be the same.

We had a cold snap this past week H 45 L 25 give or take a few degrees. But we are going back to a week of 60-70 high temp, and 50 low temp.

The soil is heavy red georgia clay but it’s all on a slope, so drains well IMO except any place where land is terraced (not moving to those spots)

I have moved couple of young trees so far this fall. I don’t know what the results will be yet. But looks promising. I moved them to raised beds. You can see how much roots etc I moved for one tree in below thread.

1 Like