Diospyros Lotus Rootstock

Quill,
I know you want 3-4 but you can get you a bundle here (25 minimum) http://www.lawyernursery.com/PDF_static/LawyerNurseryFruitTreesRootstocks.pdf

1 Like

Lawyer has a $250.00 minimum, or they charge a $50.00 handling charge.

I think we are going to order even more D. Lotus so I could probably get you a bundle of ten, or send you just a few.

1 Like

I don’t think i ordered less pears than that last year but I don’t recall the minimums being that high in prior years. The rootstocks from lawyers are healthy but on the small side in most cases so I may deal more with Copenhagen or Williamette in the future. I don’t think anyone besides lawyers is carrying lotus rootstock in quantity.

1 Like

Rolling River has them for $10 each. They are are in 4" x 4" x 12" pots. I got a few this winter and they are small but well rooted.

2 Likes

PM sent, thanks!

Thanks for letting me/us know. I’ve been all over their website looking at blackberries and somehow missed it. Since they are potted seems like they would be good to graft this year as I’ve heard it is good to let the bare roots grow a year before grafting.

I plan to graft them this year and I’m very interested to see how they grow. Last year I got a couple grafted persimmons from them in the same size pot and they grew impressively relative to many bareroot persimmons I’ve planted.

Let’s compare grafting results later this summer!

Sounds good. I have always wanted to order from them anyway. My lotus from a few years back stayed fairly small, mostly because I had to move it to this house but also because I need to feed my pots more consistently. Other one died. I shouldn’t have ordered scions first.
Carole

I have some small ones what size are you looking for?

2 Likes

I could use 2-3 rootstocks also. I did find a place selling them by the thousands… :roll_eyes:
Anyone find anything or @joleneakamama any extras for sale?

Katy

Katy,
If your not in a hurry I ordered mine from http://www.svnursery.com/fruit2.htm many years ago for around $4 each. I think he is sold out right now until fall. I would check with him because he has managed to get me some really rare stuff. If you want regular persimmon rootstock @39thparallel nursery has a large quantity of those.

2 Likes

I just realized this thread was a year ago…I’m stuck in 2017 mentality!!!

1 Like

I will have D. virginiana rootstock. I am looking for Ribes, American / Hardy Hybrid Persimmon, Asian Pear and Jujube cuttings if you want to trade.

1 Like

@clarkinks How many years have you had them in the ground? Is that the original seedling that’s blooming, or did you graft them over?

1 Like

It was the original seedling but it has been in the ground a long time. I’m going to get around to top working them this spring. Don’t remember the exact date I planted them. Here are the trees Lotus persimmon buds

I still have some small D.lotus plants available pm me if interested.

Maybe you have information on how rootstock lotus behaves in colder climates and what is winter hardiness? Almost all the hybrids available in my area are lotus only. Zone 6b, very rarely but every 10 years, temperatures drop to around -5 ° F

1 Like

@ediblelandscaping.sc

There are people interested in some of these that you have rooted. Thanks

@atheist

They don’t like the cold but will adapt over time. Mine have survived -20f. Genetics can be different as well. Mine came from an old nursery that is now out of business call Sandusky. Technically they are rated as zone 7 Lotus Persimmon . They are inexpensive when you find them Lotus Persimmon Rootstock

Is anyone growing lotus persimmon/ date-plum that might have extra seeds this fall/ winter? If so, would love to connect with you via PM to see if we can arrange a trade.