Dividing Garlic clumps

Are those in your hand seed from the garlic scape or from the in ground bulb?

Very interesting, Clark. My family in East Kentucky had a similar approach to garlic. My great-grandmother had her perennial patch, which she only harvested from when she wanted to give a start to someone—or was going to make dill pickles. She got her garlic start from her mother-in-law (my g-g-grandmother), who inherited the strain from her mother.

We still have this garlic It looks like A. ampeloprasum, and not A. sativum. It is mild, prolific and reproduces by tiny underground bulblets as well as by bulb division. Though it blooms in summer, I have never known it to set viable seed or top bulbils. My great-grandmother told my mother that it came from Ireland.

Not sure why are experiences are so different, but they are. The few times my fall planted garlic started sending up leaves in the fall (usually due to too cold storage before planting or a very warm spell late in fall), they did not do well the next spring/summer. Once I lost an entire soft neck bed because they were almost 1’ high when winter really hit.

Maybe I could get different results, but my few experiences are bad enough that I try to avoid planting at a time which allows for above ground growth in the fall. But as always, YMMV.

Could be the variety. I grow an heirloom hard neck that was brought to the US in 1908 by my great grandfather from northern Italy. We still plant it and harvest it according to the timing that he used. We usually plant around labor day, and i harvested the last of it today.

@danzeb the seed is from the scape. It takes 3 years for bulbs to grow from seed. Garlic seed is the way to go when you want to add an extremely large patch of garlic very inexpensively. The bulbs are larger if you cut off the scapes. @JeremiahT part of my family to was from Kentucky and Tennesse. A hatfield married into my family but was killed a short time later in a feud. Our approaches were likely a common way people who live off the land grow things in that area. They were explorers who settled into highly isolated areas where they are 100% able to take care of themselves. In those wild areas the cherokee survived where most white people could not easily. The men in my family married women typically of isolated cherokee tribes. When i spoke with a cherokee he was familiar with the fact my family existed but was not with the main tribe. He introduced himself to me. He shook hands like the cherokee they hold your elbow not hand which is code for i know who you are and your cherokee and so am I. @Steve333 my experience is similar to yours which is why i make these crosses that are better at surviving than tame garlic. As your aware im always looking for ways to improve the strain until one day wild garlic with large bulbs will be commonly found crowing wild here. These crosses of things are my gift to the next generation who inherit the land. Im not referring to my family just people in general. @Kellogg_Hill_Farms is that a red garlic? Italian garlic is some of the best in the world. Here is a little more of what the hybrid cross of garlic looks like. Notice the height of this garlic is 4 feet tall and growing larger with every cross. My goal was to make a larger bulbed wild garlic that self seeds itself. The native american garlic is highly disease resistant and more flavorful. The extra hardiness is needed here in Kansas to survive our extreme weather. Like the wild variety it survives winter easily and is more adaptable. These seeds will be replanted. Im also making crosses of blackberries , apples, pears etc. These to will acclimate to this area.

Some of the bulbs can be fairly large. This harvest will be enough for nearly a years supply for my mother.