Do any of you do any good with donut peaches?

I had a Saturn donut peach. Tree grew great, one of the best growing peach trees I had. But it didn’t produce anything that edible. I had heard you have to thin them, but I have no time. I cut it down and put up another peach.

2 Likes

To be honest, if you can’t thin you’ll probably be disappointed with most peaches. And as well with many other fruits trees. There are some that don’t need thinning. Things like mulberry, persimmon, most berries, grapes can be thinned in minutes if even that is needed, citrus, mango.

4 Likes

I thin mine minimally here in zone 7a Pennsylvania and get great production and taste!

2 Likes

Even if you did not thin, you should have still gotten small Saturn donut peaches to eat.

Were you sure the “Saturn donut” peaches was true to label? You said they were not edible makes me think you had a wrong variety.

2 Likes

Ive had a saturn donut for a number of years. Very reliable and delicious fruit. Only issue ive had is cracking if it rains too much close to ripening.

2 Likes

I kinda worded it wrong as far as edible. I meant too small in size to fool with.

1 Like

If they are too small, you should thin them more to increase fruit size. Saturn donut peaches arent huge, but definately are worth keeping around. One of my more favored trees, and one that i think im going to add more of as my fruit sales grow.

1 Like

My Flat Wonderful is my first peach to ripen, it’s good for for fresh eating, pies, and it’s exceptionally good for canning Flat Wonderful - #14 by ukie
I do not thin my Flat Wonderful

1 Like

Saturn donut is a small peach to begin with. Without thinning, they are tiny. However, Saturn is a very sweet white donut peach, a crowd pleaser. To me, it is worth growing.

You may want to re-think thinning peaches. Without thinning, not only you will get smaller peaches, the quality of the fruit is also compromised. Then, branch breaking is real. I have had that happen twice even though I thought I thinned them well. Thinning peaches is a chore that should be done.

2 Likes