Do people say you are "obsessed?"

Sorry that was harsh, I’m probably jealous. Doing it right referred to me, not you. Why I would not do it as I would not be able to do it right. Sorry I didn’t mean to direct it at you, it was not meant that way.
For me I would feel pressured and it would not be fun, but hey that’s me!
I obviously offended you am I’m sorry, I should not have posted that. If you need help call me, and I’ll come give you a hand you’re a few hours away.
I have 3 reels because I’m cheap! All are gifts! Also I only fish for perch and walleye, you really don’t need a lot of different setups. I have more actually, but they are in various stages of disrepair.
At my cottage is like walleye heaven, they run like crazy there in the spring.
Again I was out of line, I just went on and on didn’t I? I think you should do what works for you!
And if you look at all of my stuff, maybe not trees, it’s not much better. Kinda like do what I say, not what I do! If you look, it looks like I have over 68 pots, or close to that! Again sorry. I think I found the problem, I looked behind me, and their is a stick sticking out, I better pull it out!
Give me 90 lashes with a peach whip!

1 Like

Thanks for saying that drew. I’m probably too defensive, too, so probably read more into it than I should have. We’re good. I respect your knowledge and advice and still do.

1 Like

you can’t let them fall and rot else it will be insect heaven

I solve the problem of fallen, rotting fruit by having free range chickens. They quickly clean up anything that hits the ground.

Ha! I had kids to do that! My son’s girlfriend’s parents have chickens and I got some eggs this year. Nice! They were really big too! .

I’ve learned not to start the conversation with, “I have 20-30 fruit trees on my lot.” That just comes off as odd and off-putting to non-gardeners. Better to start with the goal, which for me is to step outside my door and harvest high quality fresh fruit and veg every day of the year. Even non-gardeners can relate to eating premium fresh produce. There’s nothing crazy or obsessed about a well managed, attractive and fragrant lot that provides excellent food for your family and friends.

The oddest question I’ve ever been asked is, “How much time do you spend working in the garden?” I answered with, “I have no idea. Every chance I get, I guess. I never track my time spent doing what I love to do.”

My answer would be the same. But I must admit, it got a little overwelming for me last year. I’m feeling my age. Hey we are all a little strange, let’s just admit it. i got 15 pounds of alfalfa in the mail today and I’m happy! Who does that? Free shipping!

I am the opposite, I enjoy saying “I have 500 varieties of fruit growing in my yard” and then watch their eyes pop out :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I also get weird looks when I tell people I get chicks and honeybees in the mail.

LOL! I can’t have either in the city. Probably a good thing! One nice thing is the pest pressue here in minimal. The birds seem to have no idea my fruit is food. Last year one robin figured it out, a bunch of others were around, but only one stole fruit. Then when I caged the fruit he took off, and never came back. In late spring I removed the protection and nothing was taken.

Hey Rob, I should have mentioned that a long time ago…I have free range chickens too!!! So now I don’t have to be so defense about having lots of trees…I’m just growing chicken feed! haha. Actually, I’ve been a little disappointed by my chickens…they don’t go after some fruit like I hoped they would. Pears especially. They just kind pick around on them. Now, find a perfect, low hanging peach or fig and they eat it like they are starved! ha.
I love Mr. Clint’s answer to the “how much time in the garden question”. Sooo true.
Drew- what is the alfalfa for? Around here, baled alfalfa prices have gone through the roof. I talked to a farmer who is actually going to turn a 35 acre wheat field into alfalfa this year because he’s convinced it will be more profitable! I know my goats go crazy for the stuff (when I can afford to feed it to them!). Is yours for feed or seed or what?

Cheap fertilizer, not alfalfa hay just the grain itself It’s well balanced and contains some sulfur.
I use it for the vegetable beds. NPK is 3-1-2. The bag says Reptile bedding :smiley:

Here is a little blurb about it
Alfalfa Meal is a close second. It’s a balanced npk fertilizer that provides a steady release of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and some sulfur throughout the growing season, with most of it available during peak growth, when crops need it most. It’s also widely available, relatively cheap, light enough to use in container gardens, and doesn’t attract animals.

fascinating. I didn’t know that! I assume the farmer I was talking about knows this, but I’m going to make sure because we were just talking about it as hay. Perhaps he could do even better raising it as grain.

. I think they harvest the grain (meal) off the stalks, then havest the stalks as hay. So he is probably doing this. Same with other grains. Maybe not? i have no clue! OK, just thinking hay has seed heads, straw does not. I’m a total city boy!

I wish I could keep some chickens and rooster in the yard. But the Village is not allowed.

NO ROOSTERS. Not needed and you’ll be wanting to make soup out of him after about a week. I, too, would like to have some chickens, but our HOA rules say no. And, the other issue for me here with chickens, is they attract rats (going after the scratch), and coyotes looking for an easy meal. And, with rats comes snakes. So, I just rely on a (brave) neighbor down the street who does not live in my development, to get homegrown eggs from.

Just a comment. I’ve been on fruit forums a long time. I almost never hear about folks having too much fruit.

I’ve read various extension warnings about planting too many fruit trees which will result in wasted fruit, but I almost never hear of it on fruit forums.

It’s true the math should work out that too many fruit trees = too much fruit, but in real life, it doesn’t seem to work out that way.

As an example, an average full sized peach tree will produce about 3 bushels (150 lbs.) Really large peaches weigh about 1/2 a pound. A 1/2 pound peach looks about the size of a soft ball. I’ve raised larger peaches than 1/2 pound but they are fairly unusual. My record largest peach so far weighed 1.2 lbs., but it was really closer to the size of a small cantaloupe rather than a softball.

Anyway, if you are growing softball peaches, they will weigh close to 1/2 pound, which means 100 peaches per bushel. A variety which will produce peaches this large will produce about 300 peaches at a full sized tree.(about 3 bushel).

To an inexperienced extension agent (or inexperienced master gardener) this sounds like a lot of fruit. More than a family can eat at one time.

However, from my own experience, and from reading posts on fruit forums, so many things can happen to significantly reduce that crop. Squirrels, possums, frost, brown rot, birds, etc. For the homeowner, I would not consider too many trees were planted until there was evidence of lots of quality wasted fruit on the ground for several years in a row (very rare).

3 Likes

Well i hope you’re wrong Olpea as I only have a few trees, and do not want to add many more.
What i have a problem with is money. No matter how much I have, it’s never enough.

Same here.

As a qualifier, I have raised quite a few more blackberries than we are able to sell, or use. Likewise, apples/pears can drown your family. Stone fruits are more on the other end. Always seems to be a shortage in my climate.

I can say I had too many pots because I wasn’t getting around to watering them enough :smile:

Last summer I counted just over 100 (theoretically) fruit-bearing potted plants. Here’s what I have inside for the winter, at least in one of my 2 indoor locations.

It’s only a half acre yard. I think I’d like to have somewhere in the 2-5 acre range. That way I wouldn’t be planting everything so closely. Of course, at that point it would really be a farm/orchard instead of a backyard. No danger of that for a while now- given the land prices in my area (nothing, even 0.16 acres, under half a million), I should be happy with what I have.