Does anyone like Goji berries?

That’s the brand (Heaven Mountain) I was talking about in an earlier post. I first found them on the Dragon Herbs (Chinese medicine site) years ago. I agree they have a nice flavor. I would often make a tea out of them.

You said you were able to get them to sprout. Do you have any larger plants that are producing now? Are they vulnerable to freezing temps like a tomato or pepper plant or do they just get bigger every year?

1 Like

They get bigger every year. And I’m growing them if full shade. I cut them back severely every year.

1 Like

There is a wild tomato "species " that survives freezing temps every year.

No I just started them for a Experiment

I have many different tree seeds like
Avocado , mango , mamey, Cherimoya , guanabana, citrus , black persimmon (diospyros Nigra)
I just separate & sprout in zip lock bags until transplant
(before main stem grows on certain things like persimmon )
(the different seeds from different Cherimoya separated per bag.)
just as gifts for house plants.

If I had a Green house I may do things different or may not
but this takes up little space , and not to much worry of white flies (root maggots ) (but still sometimes.)

(edit if you do this soil usually on dry side like crumpled up oreo cookies or seeds will rot
just checked one cherimoya just sprouted a root pretty fast this time, but do not start tomato or goji berry like that…)

1 Like

I’m going to end this debate, the fruit can be eaten dry or fresh. I personally grow every color under the sun (multiple reds, yellow, black and purple/white). Anyone suggesting these cannot be eaten fresh is total nonsense and should check their hubris. PS I’ve found the yellow to be best for juicing, red/black for drying into teas, and the purple one I acquired tastes good fresh. Just my two cents as a rare fruit collector.

3 Likes

Notes On a few of our Native species
Note (in introduction) see how Clay is added to some mashes that is for detoxifying
Similar thing of how they give Activated Charcoal to people that are poisoned or over dose on drugs.

https://www.extraplicity.com/galleries/wolfberry.html#top

3 Likes

Dustin, which is the purple one? Maybe I should try it. They are easy to grow where I am.

2 Likes

Stardust brother :metal:

1 Like

I ended up losing my Phoenix Tears within the year, after planting in-ground in my heavy clay soil in a sunny spot. I had saved a cutting which survived in a shaded pot for some extra time, but it never fully recovered, and I lost it too. I wonder if I could’ve saved it by fertilizing… as a generally neglectful gardener, I almost never used fertilizer on any of my plants. I’m starting to take more active care of my plants, and am starting to fertilize somewhat frequently.

I just ordered a Stardust from eBay, should arrive this week. Should I fertilize? (I have the blue 20-20-20, and liquid seaweed). Also, would it do better in the sun or the shade? I’m gonna keep it in a pot, so I can move it wherever, I just don’t wanna lose it like I lost PT.

1 Like

I have 2 same cultivar I dont remember the on the north side of a 6 ft privacy wall and they do just fine in full shade. One appeared to be more sickly then the other and I suspect its just the plant it self.

2 Likes

Confirmed! I just asked the eBay seller (whom I think is the actual breeder). He says Stardust is an F1 hybrid between Black Goji (L. ruthenicum) and Amber Sweet Goji (L. barbarum).

1 Like

If that person is actually doing goji breeding hopefully they’ll join the forum here.

1 Like

Yes I like Gogi berry smoothie mix with other fruits.

1 Like

Have anyone found a good variety for fresh eating? I tried a couple varieties, but they are not good tasting, or not sweet enough. The semi-dried or dried taste much better.

Or maybe it is our soil.

1 Like

My yellow / gold produced last year. They were juicy but semi bitter. Maybe good for a salad topping. Im still waiting on my stardust to fruit, high hopes for this year!

3 Likes

The best Goji berry varieties grow in Xinjiang, along with most of the jujubes. I just wonder what varieties they grow there.

I believe most of the varieties we grow here are old varieties. The Phoenix Tears is reported to be from the California railroad era.

1 Like

Same here with “Princess Tao” Fpw03 not bad fresh but shoud be far better dried

Probably a commercial N° x (NingQi) cultivar, the 7 is widely used for the production.

2 Likes

@ sub

You seem know quite a bit of Goji planting in China. Do you know if you can find fresh Goji berry sold at local market? I just never seen it. Do not think that is even commercially viable. I could be wrong.

1 Like

I joined this forum to discuss Gojis…talk soon!