Does anyone like Goji berries?

I believe “LifeBerry” is the European name for standard Goji, just the fancy name to sell the plants.

Dried Goji was imported to Europe as “food” to evade the scrutiny of “drug” regulation. But that was not the case in US. US regulation was relaxed recently. So more dried fruit import and more interest of the health benefits of the fruits.

I believe Home Depot has been carrying Goji in its mail order for some time. At least I’ve seen it last year.

I agree the species name matters, it’s like saying all rubus or ribes plants are the same. Clearly not.
Nice to know which species is best for fresh eating. Also you know like pomegranate, depending on where and in what they are grown in, might make a taste difference.

3 Likes

The only pomegranate I know and grow is “Wonderful” because that is the best known commercial variety. I’m simple minded :smile:

No time to try others if one works. Too much work and less time to enjoy the fruits…

Due to the hype over Goji berries, there have been a number of species of boxthorn sold as “Gogi”. Among them:

Lycium afrum L. (Kaffir boxthorn)
Lycium barbarum L. (Chinese boxthorn)
Lycium californicum (California boxthorn)
Lycium chinense Mill. (Chinese boxthorn)
Lycium europaeum L. (boxthorn)
Lycium ferocissimum Miers (African boxthorn)

Proven Winners is a tissue-culture business. They have a lab not far from here. They contract with wholesale growers to grow-on the plants to market. I expect they are propagating the same L. barbarum cultivar sold wholesale by La Verne Nursery.

1 Like

So we’re can I order the goji that tastes good. Cause I have only tried the ones that are not. Is Crimson star a edible one

1 Like

Good luck with it. Just do not blame the plants if you do not like the taste of fresh fruits… It is not supposed to eaten fresh.

I don’t believe that statement is universally true.

1 Like

I believe what I believe. If you do not, it is fine with me. It is a complete waste of time keep arguing about this…

This was the statement you made. I hope you still believe what you believe that Goji can’t survive the winters in the “north”.

It is species dependent.

1 Like

:flushed: Tell me what species of Goji can’t survive a typical winter in US. Is Chicago North enough?
Please tell me. Where and how do you hear that a Goji did not survive a harsh winter in Chicago???

The species grown in southern China for fruit. :smiley:

1 Like

I do not understand it. Someone made such strong statement, then can’t support it. Just a big mouth, or LOL… :rage:

I give up.

Please do not cross me in other place. Hope I do not see your face again… Feel sad…
:sleepy:

1 Like

Redsun,

You seem to have an innate inability to tolerate any disagreement with your point of view.

Please remember that we are trying to create a pleasant place for the open and free exchange of ideas and opinions without having to endure uncivil and ill tempered reactions.

Please keep this in mind in your future interactions with other members here.

I personally agree not to interact with you from now on.

Mike

4 Likes

I like the dried Goji fruit.They have an interesting flavor.I have a plant tagged as Crimson Star,that was planted a couple of years ago and has produced a very small amount which was good tasting also fresh. Brady

2 Likes

I do not want to interact with you too. You commented on my post before and I was not pleased with that either. Here again, you posted something which has nothing to do with you. I just hope you do not do this again.

If you have nothing to discuss about Goji, just leave it be. Pls do not provoke anything…

Well, that escalated quickly.

Back on topic, I had either the sweet lifeberry or the big lifeberry from proven winners at a nursery. Whatever it was, it was definitely spit out bad.

Maybe with age or drying they would taste better, but it doesn’t sound like something worth growing in my garden. I have enough thorny plants that make great fruit!

2 Likes

Thanks for getting us back on topic, ampersand. I wanted to remind people again of the forum policies:

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

So, please focus on facts not people and avoid knee-jerk contradiction going forward here. Thanks.

4 Likes

This got it started to say someone else is wrong, critisizing others. Instead he made such statements that Goji can’t even grow in the “north” or such…

Folks may have different experience, different opinion. There is no such thing of “right” or “wrong”. So please refrain from stating some others are “wrong” or “incorrect”. Then providing the wrong statement instead…

Anyhow, hope we all can grow and enjoy some of the Goji. The weather is nice outside…

1 Like