Does anyone like Goji berries?

I understand the motivation to consume super fruits. I’m all for it. Anyway you can for sure. I would make tea from what it sounds like, probably excellent.

1 Like

Don’t understand this plant, easy to start from cuttings, but my plants always look half dead at best.

1 Like

Good to hear your experiences with this vine. I’ve been wanting to grow a pair due to their great health benefits.
Carole

1 Like

I grow Eastern Prince, so only need one plant, here it is 2 minutes ago. A little rough from the heat. I’m about to water it.

3 Likes

Mine is definitely sleep-creep so far

Last year I was 50-50 that I had lost it… This year it’s bigger but showing no signs of wanting to start vine-ing. It’s still only about 4-5 inches tall…

Hopefully next year it will leap a little…

It is an Eastern Prince. I may snag a cutting from you, if you don’t mind, though…

Scott

1 Like

Have you harvested any berries from your schizandra? Looks like you have it in a perfect spot. I had to make a trellis for mine. I have the ‘imperfect’ flower kind - several plants though.

1 Like

Yes I harvested berries, earlier in the thread I posted a photo. No problem Scott with a cutting.

1 Like

I have taken Chinese herb formulations in the past and a lot of them included goji berry. I also read about their high antioxidant and nutritional value, so I wanted to try some of them by themselves. I ordered some berries from a firm called Dragon Herbs out in CA. They come from northern China. I’ve also bought several of their other products, mostly their traditional formulas.

Anyway, from what I remember, a small 8oz bag of berries were kind of expensive, maybe $8 or so. The berries were slightly sweet, a bit juicy, and had an agreeable taste. I don’t think they were fresh, as in perfectly roundish and unwrinkled. They were somewhat wrinkled, so maybe a bit of a dried product.

While I liked them raw, and sometimes making tea with them, I just couldn’t justify spending that much for them. But, seeing this thread has kinda piqued my interest in growing them.

I’ve seen plants advertised on various sites, so I might check into them again. For those interested in the Dragon Herbs product here is a link, seems like the price is higher than I thought, but that was a few years ago.

http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=699

1 Like

Had them w bourbon. Tasted better as the night went on. Would have paired better w wine

3 Likes

Um, not to be obtuse, but isn’t that true for most things after a few more bourbons, or wine, or beers :grin:?

3 Likes

Just saying… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately for most of you my friends, fresh Goji-berries taste like magic!..Yes it’s true!..I’m a farmer of organic Goji-berry from Greece(I have 600 plants 3 years old.These fruits are taste really great!..Maybe is the sun, the earth, the climate, the dry hot summer…whatever, the result is unique!!.If only I could send you some fresh goji you could understand what I mean.On the other hand my (and I say “my” because i know my product) sun-dried goji berry have nothing to compare with them from China.My greek goji-berries are soft and taste sweet!!!..They are like soft raisins…I have also a site and facebook page and sell them but I don’t want to make a promotion from here…just to inform people and to say my opinion…Thank you

3 Likes

Hi George from Greece! Welcome to the forum. It seems odd that you can get gojis to grow there in your climate. The ones I got from China come from a cold dry area, and also reminded me of little red raisins, but were still a bit juicy. Maybe it’s the dry weather that helps them do well, and you do have that in Greece. 600 plants are a lot, how has business been going for you? Is there would be high demand for goji in Europe?

I checked out your site, and it seemed interesting, but unfortunately I can’t read Greek very well. I know a little because I studied the New Testament (Bible), and wanted to learn it in the original language of ancient Greek. But, I don’t know enough of it to get by.

1 Like

Are they Lycium Barbarum or Lycium Chinense? Are they a named cultivar?

1 Like

Hi subdood_ky_z6b…I become a farmer because of crisis in Greece (I have university degree at compuer science) from 2013.The business is growing up step by step.It needs to much care at least 6 months per year.The demand for fresh goji in Europe is high but for now I sell them only in Greece becase they are to sesitive to stay ok with transportation.But I also have sold sun-dried via e-bay(for example at UK, Sweden etc) and the people liked them and I’ll sell some very soon via e-bay…Ancient Greek…keep up the god job!

5 Likes

Hallo danzeb…they are Lycium Barbarum (the sweet one) and I have 6-7 plants of Cinense…what do you mean “named cultivar”?..becase I think this is most for comerial reasons

1 Like

I was asking about named varieties such as Crimson Star, Sweet Lifeberry and Big Lifeberry which are varieties available in the United States.

1 Like

As far as I know all the names has to do with marketing…Lycium Barbarum is sweet…Lycium Chinernse is a little bitter but if it stays alittle ore on the tree it becomes more swet and is very nice too.

3 Likes

Hi Madraoula, I have a couple potted Crimson Star Gojis that I grow near Seattle. Do you ever have problems with wasps drilling the berries like I have here? Good luck with your business. Greece is a beautiful country full of warm and friendly people.

1 Like

Hallo Quill…thank you !!!..Fortuntely I haven’t problem with wasps.As I know the problem with wasps on grapes, you can put a bottle with orange juice (you’ll cut the upper piece of a plastic bottle of coca-cola, you will put orange juice(e.g. fanta) at the bottle,you’ll put the cutted upper piece upside down on the lower piece and wait for the wasps to go inside, they just can’t got out…you can see 3 ways to do that ----> http://www.supereverything.gr/2014/08/pos-tha-apalageite-apo-tis-sfikes.html )

2 Likes