Does anyone like Goji berries?

Sweet Lifeberry/Big Lifeberry are definitely Chinense. I’ve talked to many people since making the video and well it’s the same story between the two species. Some have visited and tried mine as well. What a difference. I’ve also added Pheonix Tears and that one is also Barbarum. Can’t tell much difference between the two yet.

Still not a fruit to go bananas for, but it’s something reliable & problem free. Oddly enough in the video I made two years ago I compared them to peppers. I just learned this week that goji is in the nightshade family. No wonder, haha.

2 Likes

Right, goji and pepper are related. I remember watched a gojipepper video that talked about grafting pepper on goji plant.

2 Likes

That works? I would love to see that video.

1 Like

Not an expert, but pretty happy with my plants. As I understand it, in Asia they are thought of as a savory ingredient rather than sweet, as we usually think of berries. Dried they make a good herbal tea, and fresh they can go in smoothies. I hear they make soup also, although I have not tried that.

1 Like

Yes,a professor in a university in China (I forgot which university) successfully created new pepper (I remember it was called gojipepper, and this pepper is high in demand) which tasted sweeteryield is higher too compare to its not grafted pepper.

2 Likes

Whoa.

1 Like

Wow, is that a black peppercorn plant they grafted on a goji? Wonder if the goji imparts any cold resistance to the black pepper.

No,he used regualar small red hot pepper, about 5.6 cm long, grafted on goji rootstock.then pollinated with goji pollen, don’t know how many times of selecting and breeding. The final prepper is over a foot long mixed with sweet, hot flavor and aroma.

2 Likes

NO, except my wife.

Here is a jar of Goji in vodka next to a jar of Goumi in Vodka and Sugar.

2 Likes

Nope.

1 Like

My goji berry plants always seem to wait until late Aug/Sept to even bloom. I thought I had just gotten a bad plant (grown from seed from a store bought fruit) that was used to a different climate, but now I’ve noticed that my Lifeberry plants are just starting to bloom now as well.

Scott

1 Like

Goji harvest over a extended period at my home. I have missed a few harvest and I was still able to pick this many from 2 plants. I sampled the previous goji infusion and its interesting. It’s medicinal and vegetal. If I had to compare it to anything I would say its vegetal like a unaged Blanco tequila or mezcal.

My berry to vodka ratio is to low. I will be diluting for sure after I get larger jars.

1 Like

Whats that? Goji berry, no you can’t have any, said to my 3.5 year old. My wife and she have to be the only people who actualy like goji berries. Based on this webpage I believe the batch on the left is ready. The second batch is making good progress but I decided to combine both into a larger jar and add more vodka. I will likely further dilute it before bottling gifts. It is very sherry like in flavor, there is a bit more fruit flavor then fresh goji but the medical flavor of goji is still present. I think this will make a very good addition to a cocktail.

3 Likes

50 some days later. Those berries are still so plump and red. I think I might retain the berries and do a second infusion with sugar cubes.

3 Likes

Old thread but today I bought schisandra chinensis eastern prince. Any ideas how to care for it?

It needs something to climb on. It’s a vine. Otherwise like any bush fruit. It can take some shade, maybe even prefers it? Responds to good soil, and is not very drought tolerant.

2 Likes

Okay, I am wondering what is best to help it climb. I got semi shade and shaded areas with plenty of room near the walls of the apartment and could rig something either vertical or horizontal. I have 2 grapes on a wood arbor. I dont suppose it be wise to place it on same trellis as it would likely zap the grape strength, eh? Although that would shade it.

Schisandra isn’t very heat tolerant, is it?

And while I’m here…

If Phoenix Tears is Barbarum, that means it should have decent flavor, right? Like Crimson Star? I ordered the former because it was cheaper than the latter, and I’m really hoping I didn’t waste time on an overtly distasteful fruit (like the Lifeberries).

1 Like

I just planted two Schisandras today in partial shade. Have never tried them before. Blame this forum.

2 Likes

I cannot find what goji berry i bought but i swear to god it tastes like poison. I very much like bitters and have a excellent sense of smell and a decent palate and i taste poison.

It would have been genius for china to sell us a goji berry that makes poison so we have to buy there’s. Same people behind the melamine in baby milk replacement formula :joy:

I got Eastern Prince after reading richards recommendations and it surviving in a few of my myriad of climates. It has made it through the winter and hasn’t died even with the frost snaps, Im very happy.

2 Likes