Does anything stop plum curculio?

Hi, I am a home orchardist. I use Avaunt and I get lots of fruit, the year I used the Bonide fruit tree and plant guard, I lost 100% of fruit to curc. Went back to Avaunt and I have lots of fruit again. I’m sticking with this.

1 Like

@MatthewInVA
Matthew,
Just curious, how many trees esp. peaches you have in your orchard?

Some of the advice given here may be for people with a lot of trees, not for small backyard growers. It would be good for us to know how big/small your orchard is.

What do you do about all the trees losing their petals at different rates? I think I held out too long.

There’re a number of plum curculio threads, but this seems to be one of the more active and I haven’t seen this question addressed yet—and it has huge implications for curculio control. Does anyone here have a plum curculio problem that also does *not* have apples, pears, or other tribe Maleae species within 1 km of the affected stonefruits? I’ve been noticing a connection between Maleae and plum curculio and am hoping to find some negative reports (or studies) in case that connection is just my imagination.

I’ve used all of the above products over the years and the one that consistently works for me is Adonis. PC is the only pest that I have to spray for. My only problem is timing. Some stone fruits bloom at different times, and I want to spray every tree at one time. Flavor Queen seems to bloom earlier than my other trees so it usually gets hit before I spray. Since it’s not one of my favorites, I’m willing to sacrifice some strikes on it, in order to reduce my work load.

1 Like

I find zero returns when looking for Adonis. Is that the full name or common name?

Thanks.

It’s discontinued which is probably why I couldn’t search for it. I guess this is inventory being sold.

They give an alternate with the same chemical of Dominion 2L

Looks like Adonis has Imidacloprid as it’s main ingredient. A neonicotonoid which may or may not be responsible for a lot of the problems honeybees are experiencing. Just pointing that out so you’re aware, YMMV.

1 Like

I have lots of honey bees. So it must not be a problem for them.
The secret is to spray, when the pollinators aren’t active.

I’m sure neonics can be used safely around honeybees… Just advising that there may be additional considerations with them is all. If blooms have already dropped from the trees, honeybees won’t be interested. But if there is clover or other flowering plants under the trees, they may be present there. It’s also good to keep in mind that (at least Imidacloprid) is systemic. Although I suspect there would need to be a lot of it applied before a lethal dose spread through the plant to a bloom.

Sprayed on the trunk/limbs/leaves it’s probably broken down fairly quickly by UV. If not exposed to UV though do keep in mind that it can remain for quite a while.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/imidagen.html

2 Likes

This is our second year with about 5 honey bee hives on the farm provided by a local bee keeper.

My son uses the recommended chemicals including Imidan and some Neonics. Something like the program explained by Vortom in a post a few years ago but never sprays insecticide during bloom.

Bee Keeper says bees are very health so far but it’s only been 2 years. PC seems manageable here. Much easier to manage that an assortment of rots.

2 Likes