Dormant Oil Question

Is it the leaves that can’t tolerate oil/sulphur combo? If leaves come out and they don’t have any sulphur on I can still spray oil even if the branches have sulphur?

Right… the only thing to be careful of is if there is a lot of sulphur left when spraying oil on the leaves you may get some oil/sulphur combo on the leaves in the run-off. So you probably want to wait until the sulphur level has declined.

1 Like

“one thing I learned not to do is lime sulfur plus Nufilm plus copper”.
That’s good to know.

Yesterday, I sprayed lime sulfur and oil with Nufilm for pear blister mites. Then I cleaned out the tank and mixed copper and oil with Nufilm for other fruit trees.

I did not find any mess in the tank. Maybe, I dodged a bullet.

1 Like

It could be that you need all three of them … I am pretty sure I have also done copper plus lime-sulphur before without any problems. I did the bad tank mix so I could hit pears and apricots with the same tank … last time I do that!!

I am not sure about spraying lime sulfur on apricots. (I know not to spray sulfur on apricots). My apricot buds started to show pink. So, I just avoid L-S on apricots. They got copper instead.

1 Like

I used to use an all seasons spray until I read the ingredients on the back of the label. Main ingredient was canola oil. Have been using canola oil and dawn original dish soap since. Summer less oil in mixture and winter more oil in mixture, Haven’t purchased commercial oil since.

3 Likes

SOMEWHAT ON TOPIC ,

What can we use as a cleaner to clean out the innards of the valves and pump after using oil and or Nufilm.

Sometime I have the need to spray a small volume and I use a hand pump sprayer rather than taking out my converted pressure washer sprayer setup.

I find that even though I run hot soapy water through the sprayer after use, the valve/trigger in the hand wand winds up being stuck as if it has hardened oil or wax on it.

Any suggests

Thanx
Mike

1 Like

I’m going to be spraying my young nects with copper soon, and I plan to use a hand sprayer.

@ltilton

Do you use anything special to rinse out the sprayer afterwards, especially if you use oil or Nufilm.

Mike

No, tho I probably should, I’m sure. Just rinse it out with the hose.

But it’s easier to rinse out the copper from a hand sprayer

If hot soapy water doesn’t work you need to take things apart. I have had to do that a couple times, but usually if I just let the soapy water sit for awhile it will loosen up if I pump really strongly. Different sprayers have different kinds of hand triggers, tips, pumps, etc that also vary in how easily they can clog up.

i normally just rinse it with water but recently I noticed the inside walls of my sprayer had a thick layer of sulphur. I tried to get it off with hot water and soap and a good brush. That didn’t work. So I added some oxi clean in there with hot water. It was almost magical how easy it was to get the inside looking new again! It took all the leftover out from the walls.

5 Likes

How long does oil need to do its job once sprayed on the trees? I’m guessing it doesn’t need as much time as copper or sulphur? Meaning rain the next day is fine because oil will have smothered all the bugs by then? Thoughts?

I usually spray Plums tree with soap and oil for Curly Leaf Aphids,when seeing color in the flower buds.A couple years ago,after an application,it rained for a few days.It didn’t get them all.Now,I try to spray more than once.bb

2 Likes

Do you mix the soap and oil in the tank?

I do,about 3/1,Soybean oil/dish soap and the rest water.The soap acts as an emulsifier with the oil,when put into the water.bb

I’m thinking of mixing oil with insecticidal soap to spray for magnolia scale

1 Like

2 years after your post, and I should have read it before I tried canola and liquid copper together.
What a mess. Copper coagulated.
Since I only have a few trees, I’ll spray dormant oil and copper separately.
Maybe if I added Castile or dawn it wouldn’t have happened.