Douglas Pear

@clarkinks I had no pears, no peaches and most off the apples I did get where not at there very best. Late frosts then a hot rainy summer is not optimal. Sounds bad but, I am looking forward to our next drought cycle. That’s when my river bottom orchard will shine.

1 Like

If you want more pears come get a couple hundred pounds @39thparallel

2 Likes

It is still hanging on. It is very large. I don’t know if it is a real Douglas. It does not look like yours.

Do you have a close up pic of it, 0keaee?

1 Like

@mamuang

There are close ups above. I’m 100% sure it’s the real Douglas in my photos. If it’s a really big pear you might be growing Duchess D’ Angoulme because remember I sent you scion wood. It can get over 2 pounds. It’s one of the last pears to ripen typically in October or November. They are not ripe here yet so that gives you an idea of how late they are. I’m getting a few drops due to damage. If it starts showing stretch marks it’s Duchess!

@clarkinks

I took these pics yesterday at dusk (because I kept forgetting to). Not sure it looks like yours.

It is quite a large pear. I could not take the 4x6 bag off of it. I may have to cut the bag. That is a very good quality bag. I may cut the pear instead.

1 Like

There is a very limited amount of pears that get so large. Can’t wait to see it out of that bag when it turns yellow! Have a feeling you will pick that pear in snow boots! As your aware if it’s Duchess and there is only one pear on the tree it may top 2 pounds since you got the scion wood from me. You have more water than I do there. Those pears can get enormous as I have grown 11/2 pound pears but the tree those scions came from produced 2 pounders Largest / Best tasting pear . Since Duchess is a parent of Douglas they are similar in many ways. These pears are highly resistant to fireblight as mentioned here https://growingfruit.org/t/clarkinks-strain-of-duchesse-d-angouleme/9475
This is not a special strain I grow @scottfsmith was able to easily identify it. @alan grows the pear as well. It’s not only popular with the other admins it is well known in other groups eg. NAFEX. All that said they are normally only good quality here but not fantastic. Every location grows fruits slightly differently. Once in awhile I get a really exceptional Duchess and they are great. Like honeycrisp apples I grew lots of them for many years but the flavor was only OK at best. I found when only a few are on the tree they are exceptional. Now I find myself only wanting my own honeycrisp. For years the store bought hc were better than mine. It’s my suspicion I’m making a mistake with Duchess and may need to leave them until nearly December. I’m working on growing them right. Once in awhile I taste a hint of why that Duchess allowed the pear to be named after her. See those russeting patches? See the large lenticels on that pear? They look familiar I think.

1 Like

Hi @clarkinks - I read this thread in Winter 2021 and decided to order a Douglas Pear. Flash forward a year and it’s already flowering. I’m not sure if it will hold on to fruit but if it does, should I delay it for at least another season?

2 Likes

@kypros

It’s a heavy, fast producer. Would leave enough on to taste it.

1 Like

That’s great to hear.

I just put in Dewdrop and Sunrise to go along with my Concorde. None of them are flowering yet so I’ll have to get lucky with some cross pollination from a neighbor.

2 Likes

I’ve got this one in the nursery bed. Will probably move to a slot in the yard based on this thread.

1 Like

@kypros

How did Douglas do this year? Is it holding some of the pears?

Unfortunately no fruit but it’s putting on some really nice growth. Hopefully some of my other pears will flower next year.

2 Likes

Hi Clark
Did you ever can Dabney or Douglas?

2 Likes

@noogy

Yes douglas cans very well.

2 Likes

Douglas has not ripened up at my location yet. Today is September 14th 22. Nearly all my pears are very late this year.

1 Like

Today is September 30th Duchess is not ripe yet.

1 Like

@39thparallel mentioned we needed to ensure as much data was saved as possible about this pear when he ran onto this site again. Above i posted links years ago as well but they can take down content The Douglas pear | DPLA

Created Date1923

Description

Creator

Mount Hope Nurseries (Lawrence, Kan.)

Today is October 14 2022 and i have been picking Douglas pears.

3 Likes

Historic, Archive Document Do not assume content reflects current scientific knowledge, policies, or practices. ! Held (m-c A. H. Griesa Experimental Grounds “THE PINES " LAWRENCE, KANSAS.] The Douglas Pear The introduction of this new fruit will be on its merits, as the need’ of a good fruit at this season of the year for table use is very decided. The luscious peach is gone, grapes can be had only from distant markets; and a pear that can be grown so very bountifully in any place where any other pear will survive (and most of them fail in the west), will be welcomed by all. It is a seedling of the “Keiffer” crossed by the " Duchess d’Angeleme.” It ripens just before the “Keiffer,” is nearly as large, of a beautiful yellow color, and fine in outline and shape. The flesh is fine grained, juicy, rich, with a delicious flavor; it does not seem to rot as it ripens and drop as the “Keiffer” does and hasn’t the hard gritty core, being good all through. It is named the “Douglas” because it originated in this county. The original tree first bore fruit in roo2, when it was shown at our County Horticultural Sociey, and received favorable notice. I have seen fruit on the tree every year since, except when the frost killed all fruit here. The old tree grew in the same row with others till a few years ago, in a thick seedling row, some of them crowding it; then I advised to cut out some near by, but this was delayed till, in midsummer after a rain, the owner cut out some, leaving the tree with its crop standing and exposed to the glaring sun. Its leaves turned yellow and stopped growth till fall with the fruit de- cidedly smaller; but the next year, it again grew and produced its crop as usual. Most pear trees would have blighted or died under such treatment. I never saw blight on the old tree nor any in nursery. The old tree is 14 or 15 years old now and has fruited every year since T902. The trees are good nursery trees, in growth about like the “Flemish Beauty.” They bud freely as does the “Keiffer/’ but never have been affected with twig blight like the latter. The “Douglas” is an early and constant bearer. One year trees bloomed in nursery row, but that was the year of frost; the next year over half of the limbs had on blossom buds, but were cut off to transplant the trees; the next year some of them fruited in the orchard, and they still continue to bear. No other pear tree or apple tree is so fruitful. The fruit is nearly as large as the “Keiffers, ripening just before it, at a time when peaches are out of season, and when a juicy fruit is needed. The color is golden yellow with rarely a pink shading, covered with small grav dots. The fruit has a long stem, is mostly in clusters; the flesh is juicy, buttery, and fine-grained, with refreshing sprightly flavor. I believe it is the most promising fruit I ever grew; and it has a future that no other fruit can or has filled. A Few Opinions of people who ought to know, shows how they regard it. Two years ago I sent samples by mail before they were ripe, and advised to try them when fully ripe. From the quick responses, they could not have waited. Their opinions were to the effect that it was better than the “Keiffers,” though not quite as good as the “An- geleme,” which is further evidence of their having sampled them be- fore they were ripe. This year I was delayed by sickness; when able, I took some to our grocers and our fruit men, whose commendations were all one could ask, as the following will show: J. L. Messenger: “They are certainly a good eating pear, better than Bartlett, as refreshing as Coca Cola. They are worthy of cultiva- ton.” W. A. Dunmire: " It is fine, better than Bartlett or Clairgo; a very good pear for the retail trade.” F. W. Hosford: " Better than any Bartlett or Keiffer, exceeding juicy and good.” Wm. La Coss: “That is a very fine pear, better than Bartlett or even Seckel. Fine shape, best quality, full of juice; comes at a time when they would sell.” John Hunzicker: “Certainly juicy, a good pear, better than Bartlett, our best generally; no grit or hard lumps, good enough for any one.” H. Hollingberry: “I always thought the Seckel the best pear we had, but this is even better; more juicy, fine grained, and refresh- ing.” W. A. Guenther: “Good, is better than the Bartlett, very fine grained and juicy; all the clerks are agreed in its excellence " Wm. J. Busch: “That is fine, very juicy and sprightly; never ate any better pear.” Sam McCurdy: “As fine as any Bartlett, more juicy, and refresh- ing flavor; also sure to sell.” John McCurdy: “It is certainly a fine pear, better than Bartlett or Seckel and no gritty parts. Its size and color make it desirable in the market.” J. A. Spaulding: “Far better than Keiffer, more juicy than Bart- lett; a good color and size for retailing.” S. J. Hunter, Professor of Entomology, K. S. U.: “I have exam- ined the pear A. H. Griesa has named the Douglas, after the county in which it originated. This pear in shape, size and color resembles the Keiffer; it differs markedly however, in texture and flavor. In text- ure it is almost as fine as the Bartlett, and is remarkable for its entire absence of the heavy wood core, so common in the Keiffer. In flavor it mav be compared to the refreshing juicy taste of the Duchess. It is noteworthy that such a pear should be produced at such a late season, after all varieties of desirable pears have gone.” B. F. Smith, President, Douglas County Hort. Society: “A new fruit of merit. The fruit man, who desires to keep in the front rank of the great army of fruit growers, is ever on the alert for new and bet- ter varieties than we have. Fruit perfection is not at hand as yet; but improvement is being made along the line of orchard and berry fruits. The industry is growing more interesting as the years go by, owing to the profit and pleasure there is in the business. We are greatly in need of a new sort of pear that is not subject, to blight. Pear culture has fallen behind on account of this blighting of nearly all the old favorites; as the Bartlett, Anjou, and others. Recently a new seedling has been produced from Keiffer seed. It is about as large, ripens about the same time; in flavor, to my taste, as good as the well know Bartlett. The tree is a strong grower and begins to bear when three years old. This pear will be introduced by A. H. Griesa, the originator of the Kansas and Cardinal Raspberries, the Mele Strawberry, and other fruits. Mr. Griesa has had many years of experience in testing new fruits, and has never offered any new fruit that was unworthy or un- profitable. It is the opinion of the writer, who has forty year’s experi- ence with growing pears, that this seedling will become famous as well as profitable throughout the country.” I.J. Gray, Secretary, Douglas County Hort. Society: “The new pear which you have developed by uniting a seedling Keiffer and Duchess and naming it the Douglas, is indeed a production of the highest merit. Its smooth exterior renders it attractive to the eye, and the rind is much thinner than any variety with which I am acquainted. Its flavor cannot fail to be pleasing and its juice is superabundant. The length of its stem is favorable, and the core is the smallest I have ob- served of any of its size. However, its chief excellence is in the fact that it will come into bearing the next year after planting. That is bound to make it a winner. You are to be congratulated.” A. Willis. Ottawa: “The pear you sent me was examined with great interest. It seems to be a new fruit of great value. I am not sure the length of time it has been in cultivation would give it full as- surance of the continued excellence that is at present promised; but surely the promise is good. The fruit is good sized, has a rich yellow color and excellent flavor; a pear one would be glad to have as some- thing nice to give to his friends. I shall be glad to watch this pear with interest, and expect to find much pleasure in its future as time goes on.” W. P. Stark, Mo.: “In the Douglas we have another " Kansas,” another “Cardinal,” and another “Early Melon.” We suggest you name the “Douglas,” “A. H. Griesa,” because we believe the pear has merit. In thus giving such promising variety to posterity, you are also leaving a monument of a kind that will do people good, great good we hope.” J, H. Skinner, Topeka : “We were very much pleased with the sample of the Douglas pear, the quality is very good. We liked it par- ticularly because it is more acid and sprightly than most pears. It is fine grained and with little core. If the tree is thrifty and also a good bearer, you have something worth introducing.” W. S. Griesa: " The Douglas seems to be a worthy new pear; one that will make a place for itself. Ripening with the Keiffer and with quality as good or better than Bartlett, are the two facts which should commend it. Further it seems to be more blight proof than the former which alone makes it more valuable. We wish you success in its in- troduction." H. W. Collingwood, Editor: " The pear is certainly a beautiful one in appearance and think the flavor first rate. I hope it will prove a worthy son of its parent, the Keiffer, as I have always felt he needs some good children of high character to take the curse away from the parent." H. W. Collingwood, Editor Rural New Yorker: The Rural New Yorker, Jan. 21, 191 1 (Fig. 24), shows an excellent picture of this pear, near natural size. “The quality was exceedingly good; flesh tender, juicy, and melting; flavor is rich and sweet. It is a handsome pear; and its general excellence seems to promise a great future, both for the home and for market use.” FOR TRIAL Sandard Trees, 2 years, 4 feet and up, branched, each $3.00. Write for conditions.

1 Like

I have a Douglas pear tree. Also a bosc pear tree. I have a small orchard in Oshkosh Wisconsin. 25 fruit trees. Douglas pear needs to be watered often, if not the pears are small or drop to soon. The skins are thin. They will turn a crayon yellow. If you eat them to soon they are tart, hard, thick skinned. Douglas pear tree. It snowed today and they are fine. They need a couple of frosts before you pick. They are great dehydrated! Little cinnamon. Yum.

1 Like

I am in Oshkosh Wisconsin and I am picking pears. Just finished picking bosc pears. Now the Douglas pears are coming in. Lots still on the tree. They like a few frosts.

2 Likes