Durian fruit challenge

Jsvand5, They are shipped in cooler , not freezer. just like the fresh veggies we buy from supermarket, they stored in cooler too.

iL847,

I’m sorry, thanks not correct. If there were actuay fresh durian available in the US they would sell for huge prices. They may be de thawed by the time you get them but they were frozen at some point. They have to freeze them in order to be imported.

Jsvand5, why has to be freeze in order to be imported? is it a U.S import regulation?

Yes, they are not approved to be imported fresh unless something has changed very recently. I have a friend with a farm in Puerto Rico. It may be possible to get them imported fresh from Puerto rico at some point but I don’t think he started exporting them off of the island yet. I think he is the only farm in Puerto Rico producing a decent number of them. I have went there a few times and the fresh definitely blows away anything that is available in the asian markets here. Hopefully it will change at some point and they will be widely available.

Don’t we have bananas, pineapples, mangoes, papaya, etc fresh fruits in supermarket that are imported from Mexico and other S. american countries. If they have been frozen, for example banana, will the banana skin go darker and texture is musy, not as fresh looking as it in stores?

The rules are different for Mexico and South America. Also each fruit has different rules. Some are frozen, some are irradiated some have to be soaked. I think it depends on he type of bugs they can harbor. I know mangosteen has to be irradiated which is why none of the seeds will germinate. Mangoes are soaked in hot water.

understand now

Fred and Carrie got a durian in their CSA:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tmitvXIamFc

5 Likes

A short video about Durian. It’s such a polarizing fruit. For a while, after college, I was an English teacher to foreign students. I had a lot of students from Asia and one of my favorite things to do was to set up debates in class to get students talking. The Durian debates would often rage the longest.

https://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/a-taste-so-sweet-a-smell-so-rotten?playall=1234&xrs=GBS_NL&utm_source=Great+Big+Story&utm_campaign=eab3317514-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_24&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_87688954aa-eab3317514-81688673

3 Likes

I was born in Malaysia so grew up eating Durian. The smell doesn’t bother me but it reeks to our non-Malaysian in-laws. We love the taste but very few of our white friends share that opinion. My dad’s very adventurous Canadian friend joined us for a trip to Malaysia back in 83. His reaction upon seeing and smelling Durian was “Looks great. Smells wonderful.” His reaction upon tasting Durian was to spit it up all over my uncle’s while scraping his tongue and yelling “Tastes like SH! T!!” Needless to say he had all of us, over 20 extended family members rolling on the floor (away from the spewed out durian) laughing our heads off. But really, even those of us who love eating Durian would never claim it “smells wonderful”. Priceless memory. Ahhh good times, good times.

Anthony

6 Likes

I’ve had it a few times in Singapore and Thailand, and don’t care for it at all, although it was a gateway to mangosteen which is superb, and as close to an antidote as one could hope for.

There are many cultivars, like with apples, you don’t get the full picture by one sample at a given time. Friends in Singapore they swore by a few cultivars from Malaysia as superior to other regions. Of course, their idea of superior seems to be turning up the gain on the features that many/most westerners find objectionable. (Creamier, more pungent, stronger flavored, etc). I can better tolerate the “inferior”, under ripe version I tried in Thailand. Think mozzarella instead of Limburger.

For those who haven’t tried it, I say the flavor is a mixture of peach, onion, rotting animal flesh, and noxious chemical fumes with an appropriately unique texture and appearance.

2 Likes

While reading this I remembered one video about durian :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIYeWH7cjWg

4 Likes

I like it, my familiy doesnt and they dont want to talk nor see me when i have eaten one, lol :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Interesting topic…

Several years back i made durian liqueur for some friends and to torment some relatives where deer camp was always a game of gross-out one-upmanship…right this very moment i am in bangkok wrapping up a 2-week trip, and i have seen durian at markets in chiang mai, koh tao, and here…by now my kids who never tried durian recognize the “durian smell” in markets.

The liqueur wasnt good to me, my asian friends were deeply impressed so i assume i got it right but it always reminded me of very sweet rotten onion and poop. Just not a taste i ever aquired…

2 Likes

Polarizing fruit indeed. I love it. There are so many varieties from creamy to firm. I have not met a durian I don’t like except overripe durians. I obviously think Thai durians are the best :joy:

1 Like

Bought from a Vietnamese grocery store,. This one cost me $35.

1 Like

I agreed that the Thai Durian with the deer brand is the best import in the US.

Tony

Jack fruit so sweet.

2 Likes