Dwarf lychee indoors - lychee cultivation

@SoCalGardenNut

Here is an example of suggested fertilizer and application https://justagric.com/best-fertilizer-for-longan-tree/amp/ . Oscomote would definately help NPK and they desperately need that and water. Since it is slow release i think the nursery gave good advice for nutrients.

1 Like

Ok, I see. I donā€™t put any other chemicals on my trees, just fertilizer once a year and let the tree fruit normally.

1 Like

@anon57642013

Your lychee look great so your fertilizer is working very good. Longan can be double cropped but it is most likely going to be done by commercial orchards only. The information is still valuable for someone who absolutely will need to double crop or induce blooming on an old longan tree that wont bloom for them. Imagine if a person had a commercial longan orchard 6 years old with no fruit. Every year they pay taxes , buy fertilizer & water. The longan for them need to produce 2 crops a year to recover their losses. Commercial and home orchardists read the forum. My reply addresses double cropping longan but is not a good solution for everyone. Commercial orchards do this regularly if you read the comments on this application video it is discussed further

1 Like

Yes, that should be good. Wait until year 5 and you should start seeing your first crop of fruits. I donā€™t fertilize my lychee trees. It only gets some when I fertilize the citrus trees near it which needs it once a year. I grow citrus, lychee, longan, mulberries, cherimoya, persimmons, etc and they donā€™t get anything special. I like to use osmocote or similar slow release type.

2 Likes

Clark, I totally understand. I am the same way (for different things). Must try at least once to satisfy internal curiosities and put thing to rest. More so, self confidence on thinking I may be luckier than others that failed. Even one or two aweful taste fruits marks the victory and thrill. I think many zonepushers here share similar psychological mind set

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking of removing one tiny Lychee that I bought for less than $20, itā€™s now about 2 feet tall, maybe I should graft it to the largest lychee.
I think your tree may have some fruit because itā€™s 35 years old. Do I want to wait that long? This is a free loader in my yard. I can use this space for something else. Plus recently I bought some Lychee from Costco, I think they are grown in South Africa, I didnā€™t like them. Itā€™s a struggle to try to finish a box. I like Longan much better. I got carried away because a coworker showed me her tree and while I was at Mimosa nursery in LA, I bought a few trees for kicks.
Now I will only grow fruit I like to eat, maybe I get more sensible in my old age, haha.