Eastern prickly pear for the fruit

That’s a pretty nice looking fruit! It might be what @Orange120OD is looking for, and us folks farther north could probably make it work with a modicum of winter protection. Out of curiousity, what part of 7b are you in? Are we talking South Carolina or Philadelphia? Or somewhere out west?

Thanks for sharing!

So this is Metro Atlanta 7b/8a. Finally got around to snapping some pics…

10 Likes

@manfromyard any chance she would let you take a pad or two for propagation? I’d be willing to barter for one if I could.

1 Like

She gives them away every year. Now I don’t know how to package them, but I’m positive I can get some for spring.m

3 Likes

@manfromyard I’m no expert but I bet wrapping them in newspaper and placing them snug into a small box would be fine. My father in law brought us a native variety that was just tossed into a five gallon bucket. All we did was place them on a prepared bed and they rooted 100% all on their own. If you think of it come spring and can aquire some I’ll gladly compensate you for them.

2 Likes

If your willing to send me some ill pay for shipping let me know how thanks i live in northern illinois

1 Like

I’m glad a saw this pop up. I didn’t think I had fruit on my cactus because they never turned from a green color. I picked a couple and cut them open. Certainly not something worth collecting for food, but they were like a sweet/tart aloe with lots of rock hard seeds. These are from southern Michigan.

4 Likes