Edible Lawns

This section of “edible lawn” is ready for the first harvest this spring, though it’ll be easier in a month or two when they are bigger. Here are some photos:

The stuff next to the sidewalk is more lush, perhaps due to a regular supply of dog urine, but we don’t eat these ones:

3 Likes

In VA… chickweed, wild garlic, plantago, dock are commonly found in wild. I’m guessing PA is similar.

2 Likes

Agree, but two reasons I don’t put the vegetable garden in front:

1. Lousy soil. The (natural) soil in the backyard is much better than the crap fill they dumped in to level and grade the front.
  2. The f@&$@@$& deer. Fencing in the front would be more difficult.

Plus my veggie garden is a mess, it’s NOT pretty. I haven’t the time or patience for it, it’s function more than form.

Oxalis is a fine option for low-traffic areas. Makes a sour tangy addition to a fresh salad…somewhat like nasturtium leaves. Creeping form of Oregon grape might be a taller version of an edible groundcover…at least the fruits are edible.

1 Like

With this extremely mild winter (thanks, El Niño!), the miner’s lettuce is already almost to harvestable size, maybe three months ahead of last year. I have also made an effort to expand the area where it’s the dominant ground cover by moving around a pile of branches from the Douglas fir they are growing under, to smother grass. Seems to be working slowly but surely.

3 Likes