Elderberries- Fad or Trend?

Native American History-

Many different tribes of Algonquian Indians used elderberry bark
infusions, (scraped upward) as an emetic or (scraped downward) as a purgative, in order to “cleanse” the body of
infection. This was similarly practiced by the Carrier, Cherokee, and Gitskan Indians, as well as the Iroquois and Ojibwa
Indians who also used bark and root preparations as emetics. Iroquois healers also used bark and ripe berries as
analgesics, anti-­‐inflammatories, to treat fevers (febrifuge), and as a vulnerary. The floral tea was used as a laxative.
Onondaga healers used the elder bark as an emetic/antidote for treating those poisoned by water hemlock.
The Cherokee Indians used elderberry teas and strong infusions for treating rheumatism. They used elderberry floral tea
as a diaphoretic and other plant parts in decoctions and salves for skin problems, dropsy, infection, and fever. The
Chickasaw used branch infusions applied to the forehead for headaches and over bruises and wounds to draw out
abscesses and relieve pain from infections. Choctaw medicine people poulticed salted pounded leaves onto the temple
to treat headache and drank seed and root infusions for liver ailments and digestive complaints. Creek Indian healers
stirred pounded roots in hot water and poulticed them on swollen breasts for relief.

In the regions of Delaware, the Lenape Indians used elder flower decoctions for children’s colic, and leaves and stems
were brewed for blood disorders and jaundice. They poulticed bark scrapings onto sores, swellings and wounds. The
Lenape (often called the Delaware) were noted healers and often taught other tribes their plant wisdom. North of
them, the Mohegan Indians used elderberries in decoctions for jaundice and liver complaints. Farther south the Houma
used pounded roots as anti-­‐inflammatories and fermented berries to make a therapeutic tonic. The pounded bark was
used as an analgesic to relieve pain.

The Cherokee Indians used elderberry teas and strong infusions for treating rheumatism. They used elderberry floral tea
as a diaphoretic and other plant parts in decoctions and salves for skin problems, dropsy, infection, and fever. The
Chickasaw used branch infusions applied to the forehead for headaches and over bruises and wounds to draw out
abscesses and relieve pain from infections. Choctaw medicine people poulticed salted pounded leaves onto the temple
to treat headache and drank seed and root infusions for liver ailments and digestive complaints. Creek Indian healers
stirred pounded roots in hot water and poulticed them on swollen breasts for relief.

In the regions of Delaware, the Lenape Indians used elder flower decoctions for children’s colic, and leaves and stems
were brewed for blood disorders and jaundice. They poulticed bark scrapings onto sores, swellings and wounds. The
Lenape (often called the Delaware) were noted healers and often taught other tribes their plant wisdom. North of
them, the Mohegan Indians used elderberries in decoctions for jaundice and liver complaints. Farther south the Houma
used pounded roots as anti-­‐inflammatories and fermented berries to make a therapeutic tonic. The pounded bark was
used as an analgesic to relieve pain.

The Rappahanocks used a fermented elderberry wine for neuritis and rheumatism and a bark infusion to treat various
sores and swelling. Seminole healers used elderberry root bark decoctions as emetics and purgatives, for stomachache,
and to treat arthritis and rheumatism.

Among the Great Lakes healers, the Menominee Indians used dried elder flowers in infusions for fever, and like the
Meskwaki Indians, they used the inner bark of young stalks as a purgative. Bark infusions were also used as diuretics,
expectorants, and for difficult childbirth. Elderberry bark was also used as a fly and insect repellent. As insecticides,
many tribes strewed crumbled dried elderberry leaves within their lodges. The Micmac Indians used bark, berries, and
flowers as emetics, purgatives, and soporifics. The Penobscot Indians used the elderberry bark to poultice tumors and
for cancer treatments.

4 Likes

im part Micmac and remember my grandmother always had dried elderberry in a glass jar. she would mix some in hot water with a liitle honey and make you drink it if you were sick. i didnt realize what they were until i learned about them 10 yrs. ago. i freeze some of the juice for medical purposes. black currant and aronia are others very good for sickness.

4 Likes

Birds, Bees and Butterflies like them :heart_eyes:

1 Like

theyre right outside my living room window and they never get touched by anything here. ive seen a few butterfiles land occasionally. then again only my blueberries get a peck here and there. i bought netting to cover my cherries but nothing bothers them either. hopefully it stays that way but im not holding my breath.

1 Like

Neat idea how to de-stem…

2 Likes

i freeze them and bang them off the inside of a 5 gal pail. still need to get a few stems though.

3 Likes

Definitely a fade. I have eaten elderberries as a boy scout and pretended they were good. I have matured and will speak my mind.

2 Likes

I’ve never been a big fan of their flavor.

3 Likes

Dad always liked to have at least one eldberberry pie every summer. I was never a fan. I have been using eldberberry syrup in my morning protein smoothies. I don’t mind the flavor in there as it gets mixed with other berries.

2 Likes

Elderberry jelly is my favorite jelly, so I planted several plants.

What a pain to process! And if some are overripe they spoil the batch.

So I do still make some syrup every year and freeze cubes of it for winter pancakes, but mostly it’s an ornamental in my yard now. Pretty flowers, makes enough shade for one lawn chair, screens an ugly shed and some trash cans from view, extremely popular with the birds…worth the space. Plus everybody my age and older is contractually required to quote Monty Python when I tell them what the bush is.

But mostly planting it made me really, really appreciative that I can just buy some jelly at the store.

3 Likes

I have a couple of questions that likely wont be answered or cant be answered yet.

Elderberry is obviously healthy. However Elderberry is listed as toxic.

Question 1- The berry is the healthy part- but the seed inside is what is toxic. Cooking seems to be the answer to that. It kills the cyanogenic glycosides in the seed. I have not seen scientific evidence yet of what temperature, the length of cooking or anything definitive. Perhaps thru trial and error the common 30 mins in an open pot method is good? How much of the ‘medicine’ is killed in this process? I also question if the goal is to neutralize the cyanide… how is cooking in an open pot healthy? Is cyanide gas not released? Is it released in the water? Or is it totally neutralized with heat? If it is the big fear…where does it go?
The majority of anything that i see healthy involves cooking.

Question 2- If the seed is the issue- Why not just ‘juice’ the berries? Are the seed smaller than strawberry seeds? Obviously the juice can be extracted without cooking…

Question 3- I am unclear if the health benefits are in the juice or the skin. Perhaps the skin contains the health benefits? If so then almost all products sold are devoid of skin…

Question 4- How many seeds does a person need to eat to be ‘sick’? Is it 10? 20? 100? Animals and other things eat the berry whole… and poop out the seed which gives us seedlings. Is biting into the seed what causes the sickness? Perhaps the seed isnt meant to be chewed.

We as humans have used elderberry and cultivated it since at least 2000 B.C.E

Hippocrates referred to the elder plant as his “medicine chest” in 400 AD.

But its 2022 and all i can read about are theories and unknowns.

Personally- From the data i have seen and likely not seen… i think the ‘medicine’ is in eating the raw berry. If i want medicine i think eating a small number of berries from the plant could be beneficial. Did Hippocrates cook his berries?

If i want jelly, or juice or syrup… then i will cook the berries and make them…but i wont expect to be eating medicine.

Flowers- According to WebMD " An extract of the flower is used to make medicine."

According to the CDC- flowers contain a bitter alkaloid and glucoside that can produce hydrocyanic acid.

So the questions still continue.

3 Likes

This may answer some of your questions ?

3 Likes

Wow.

" It is however important to establish that the types and levels of CNGs observed in AE are very low and pose no threat to consumers in the use of fresh or processed AE products."

“Although the TCP and CNGs levels in tissues of AE pose no threat to consumers, it is advisable to separate out the stems, green berries and leaves”

“To date, no exhaustive work has been completed on AE to conclusively ascertain the presence, forms, and levels of CNGs in ripe and unripe berries.”

@Hillbillyhort thank you sir.

So the way i read this…the whole world thinks that the berries are toxic… But scientifically they are not.

The Indians and Old Timers had it right? The modern world and old wives tales have it wrong?

Fantastic.

The whole world has slandered the Elderberry.

1 Like

Most folks can not distinguish between the American Elderberry and others that may be more toxic like European or Back Elderberries that grow in some parts of the US

1 Like

I think caution is still in order.
Terry Durham ,of River Hills harvest is the most knowledgeable person I know of concerning elder berrys.
I recommend directing your questions to him .

1 Like

I would on cultivation as he is a farmer and advocate. But as far as medicine claims… there is still research to be done.

Technically Dandelion is medicine. So is Stinging Nettle. etc etc etc.

Elderberry is a current cash crop…most others are not. Which is why it has become a Fad and Trend with the current status of the world’s health.

Its interesting no matter how you look at it.

I buy my Elderberry Juice from River Hills Harvest. Excellent product but not inexpensive. Cold pressed 100% juice from organic berries grown by small farmers in the Midwest

2 Likes

My mother once was hungry and gorged on elderberries raw on her way home from gradeschool. The memories of heavy vomiting and cramps that went on for hours kept her from ever eating them again cooked or not cooked. Growing a small 10’ patch of plants myself but she actually walks the long way around them so as not to look at them. I don’t process many of the berries for these reasons. My sisters likewise remember the terrible story my mother told of the strong poison those she ate possessed. Elderberry prepared properly are a superfood but like all superfoods i want you to have the entire story .Like aronia , acai, concord grapes and other superfoods elderberry are strong food medicine The Pros and Cons of Elderberry

"The seeds, stems, leaves and roots of the Black Elder are all poisonous to humans. They contain a cyanide-inducing glycoside. Eating a sufficient quantity of these cyanide-inducing glycosides can cause a toxic buildup of cyanide in the body and make you quite ill. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and even coma. "

4 Likes

I remember as a kid eating too many apples made us sick and pooped our brains out. I remember eating too many tomatoes and getting a cold sore.

I think elderberry is not meant to be a main food source…but perhaps a medicinal plant that offers some benefit when taken in small doses.

When i have a headache i take 1 aspirin… Not a handful.

3 Likes

@krismoriah

In those days people had lots of children and no particular ones were watched more than others. The family still had a store and farm to run. My mom never forgot that self taught lesson.

1 Like