Elephant Heart- Queen of J. plums

Ate the first one today. Firm (but not not crunchy after spending a week on a counter), sweet and juicy. Brix was 20. We were pleased. The size was very large for a plum, which is aptly named.

A very good, late season large plm. A keeper.

8 Likes

Here it is an inconsistent cropper and prone to pitch pockets which are pockets of hardened flesh that ruin the fruit and can’t be determined until you open them up. However, to me they are the best tasting J. plum when perfect and worth having if you have the room.

And mine have never reached 20 brix. I wonder if it is related to your location. Do your trees have a lot of vigor with 3’ + shoots coming out of big wood?

1 Like

This is a graft from 2018, grafted on a mirabelle plum. My mirabelle is in full sun and has about 10 varieties, mostly Euro plums on it. I don’t know if it needs cross poloination and what crossed pollnated it.

EH graft has grown 4 ft in a year. A friend who bought the tree and gave me the scionwood said his tree has not set fruit yet.

I’m never had any J. plum surpass 18 brix and they are perfectly sweet at about 16. Something about their extra juiciness makes them taste sweeter in ratio to sugar.

1 Like

I have two more and will give one to the tree owner. I will measure brix of the secnd one and post.

1 Like

My last Elephant Heart dropped on 10/6. Very late. I found it before any critter. Ate it today. It was very sweet. Skin was tart which helped balance the sweetness. Brix was 20.

14 Likes

Queen of J’s.

Yup. If I were to grow one J plum, this is it. I wish it was more productive, though.

Give it time, it might surprise you. One graft I put on a Santa Rosa last year broke from the weight of all the plums I carelessly left on it this season. Other EH grafts on other trees was the reason I was not concerned because they took off like rockets and put all their energy in big growth without bearing a single plum.

My only full EH tree died last year giving us one more huge crop even though it was dead well before fruit was fully ripe. The fruit actually kept getting sweeter without leaf support and after being harvested lasted in the fridge for 2 months- my wife just loved them.

It’s my wife’s favorite of all the fruit I grow.

The graft I did 2 years ago has grown several feet but set 3 plums this year.

I hope it will settle down and produce fruit next year.

My graft took well on Santa Rosa. It grew nine feet the first year! I cut it in half and it produced about ten branches. I need to remove most of them. No fruit the 2nd year just all the branches. Santa Rosa is my favorite plum. The only one I really like. So liking forward to trying EH. I just harvested about 45 Fall Fiesta pluots today. It has it all, beautiful purple skin which contrasts well to the orange flesh. Flavor is fantastic. A 9 out of ten. Crunchy and still very sweet.
Looking forward to trying EH next year.

2 Likes

I tried grafting EH 4 different times and none would take. I’m sticking with the best plums in the South,
AU Rubrum and Spring Satin.