Espalier Apple Trees Rework - 2016 Updates

Lovely.

1 Like

My little Novamac on b9 today… Sept 1 2022.

A couple weeks ago… did my first summer pruning on it. I just cut off the growing tip of each shoot about two nodes back.

Today each one looks like this… and it has another couple of months of growing season left. Our first frost normally in November.

So will some of those new buds forming be fruitbuds ? Thats the hope.

I will report back as they develop.

TNHunter

3 Likes

Mine flowered too! Removed all if the flowers and left the leaves. Why do you have an up-right central leader?

1 Like

@mrsg47… I have NO experience at Espalier… so sort of just winging it on this one.

I thought… I might get a 3rd tier on it… the top shoot (central leader) has the largest new buds of the 5.
looks like I will have plenty there… to let one continue up, and send a couple out to each side… and hopefully a flower bud there too.

I planned to leave a smallish central leader on it…

Is that not a good idea ?

Thanks

2 Likes

Will you add another wire? Unless the espalier is against a wall which is how they are usually grown (ornamentals) won’t the top just bend from the weight of the apples?

1 Like

Yes… if that 3rd level works out… will add a new support for it.

It will be moved to a different location this fall, and planted on the south side of my home right next to a large red brick wall (hot spot) near my fig. It will get all day sun there.

I just have temporary supports in place on it now, but will build a trellis for it after I relocate it this fall… and add the 3 support wires, if 3 are needed. I think 3 would be the max.

2 Likes

It will look great!

1 Like

I also just wing it when it comes to espaliering. Most of my apple trees are espaliered, and they have fruit. I have cement wall around my property, I want the wall to be covered with something. It’s great if they are edible also.

2 Likes

Is it time to give up? Espalier not thriving. Despite reading and following lots of advice. I think I need to see if I get leaves on the lower two branches and then go from there. I have pruned the top relentlessly.

2 Likes

I wonder if the tree get enough sun?

3 Likes

So… here is my little novamac on b9… that i am sort of training for espellar.

A few weeks back I late summer pruned it (each of the 5 growing shoots).

The hope was for fruit buds to develop…

It did send out some shoots from the nodes just before each pruning spot… some have developed into what looks to me like a normal shoot and some of those have grown 8 10 12 inches now.

A few of them made these shorter stubby shoots (pic below) but they did not flower.

Any chance those short stubby shoot will develop into fruiting spurs next spring ?

Ps… I think i am going to limit mine to 2 levels and treat that upright shoot like a central leader and perhaps let it get a little taller than the other shoots on the top tier… but not too much taller.

???

2 Likes

For Colleen. I agree with Roland. It doesn’t look like sun is reaching the lower branches.

2 Likes

I worry about that too. It is facing south. I pull back the ground cover (black eyed Susan’s and lilies) every year. The pear to the left of it if fully leafed out. The hydrangea to the right of it is doing well. I was happy last spring with it.

Pear:

Apple:

3 Likes

Those should be pruned all summer to keep their shape. I prune mine at least three times during the summer.

1 Like

Kidd’s Red Orange & Tyndeman’s Late Orange on Mazzard planted as whips of spring 2018. A very few blooms, no fruit yet. Have worked with “Grow a Little Fruit Tree” plan (that is, whack that summer growth) but I’m thinking I’m overdoing it. This summer I wasn’t quite so aggressive. I’m okay with form not being perfect, but I’d like more fruit, and I’d take some opinions/advice that’s actionable. Growing area is NW Nevada at 5,000 ft. (Sorry images are difficult; lighting late in year is hard to parse, esp. against fence, small trees growing in front . . . ack.)

7 Likes

Well done!

1 Like

Except very, very few blooms and no fruit! I’m not certain my pruning isn’t cutting away fruit bearing growth!!

2 Likes

Do you have a pollinator/

1 Like

Yes. All the apple trees I in my yard (4 within a few feet of each other) are on overlapping bloom times, plus my neighborhood is a good source, too.
I get few blooms, so that’s part of the problem. I think 4 years should be long enough for a few apples, anyway.

1 Like

Don’t prune these off…

I late summer pruned my NovaMac and it produced some of these…

But I am not sure if those are fruiting spurs, or might develop into them by next spring.

5 Likes