Espalier Plum Trees in Mt. Washington Community Veg Garden

Hi, I’m a steward at a community vegetable garden in Baltimore and have been growing satsuma and santa rosa plums for 4 years now and have yet to get a viable harvest. We had a great fruit set last year and covered the trees all to no avail.

Due to space limitations and to maximize our growing area, the trees have been Espaliered.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@scottfsmith we just removed 4 failing peach trees and are looking to replace them with some other species. Would love to pick your brain if you ever have the time. Our garden is at Northwest Park uo on Rogers and Enslow.

1 Like

Hi Aaron, I’m in your neighborhood in fact. I noticed those peach trees chopped down a few weeks ago.

Re: the plums, the most likely issue is plum curculio, all the plums will drop with that worm. I spray Surround clay to deter them. They also can rot badly, you will need several rot sprays. Satsuma is a great plum but I found Santa Rosa did not set fruit reliably at all so I took it out.

My spray regimen is

So I would take a look at it and see what I do. I am happy to chat sometime as well.

4 Likes