European hybrid fruit: Sharafuga, peach x plum x apricot hybrid

I don’t think he was making any kind of political statement. He was referring to the language on the photo.

And, again in no way of this a political statement, but the vast majority of Crimeans speak Russian as their first language, those who don’t generally speak Crimean Tatar as their first language. Hence why his inference about the variety being from Crimea given the language in the photo.

1 Like

I just made it clear on “russian variety” (please read carefully before commenting). I have nothing against Jose, he is very informative regarding stone fruit. Crimea research station developed many excellent varieties of different fruit cultivars over a century, most over the last 50 or so years. You are right about the fact, that most crimeans speak russian, but it doesn’t make Crimea a russian territory. Many other Ukrainian cities speak more russian than Ukrainian, but it doesn’t make these cities russian, does it?

4 Likes

I didn’t say it does.

That’s my point. All Jose and I mentioned was the language. Your comments are the ones bringing up politics.

It’s a gardening forum. Politics, regardless of how noble, is off topic at best

2 Likes

I never brought any politics. I just made it clear by correcting “russian variety”. You are the one manipulating information here.

4 Likes

All I’m gonna say is, it’d be nice if we could mention language and fruits and not have someone change the topic to an ongoing war that’s killed thousands of people. And it’d be really nice if you could refrain from accusing people of disinformation and of supporting X or Y side in the war when they ask you not to inject politics into the conversation.

It’s a gardening forum. Leave off the politics.

3 Likes

Fruit, and it’s true origins - that’s what we discuss here,don’t we?
If you have more issues, please pm me.

1 Like

I have nothing to add here except that Jose did in fact (unless I am misunderstanding) refer to it as a Russian variety. Here’s where he referred to the language:

And here’s where he referred to it as a Russian variety - that was the variety he was referring to, no?

1 Like

And your point is?..

Are you asking me? My point is merely a point of logic. You corrected the mistake of calling it a Russian variety. @a_Vivaldi denied anyone had claimed it was. I provided the evidence that that was a mistaken refutation, hence your point stands as being valid.

2 Likes

Thank you Justin. That’s exactly what I meant, but some people don’t read the full thread and start commenting. You did a full break down of all the key factors here and put it in such a way, I only understood all you said by reading it the second time. Big thumbs up. :+1::v:

3 Likes

Hi guys.
I don’t think they are the same variety Sharafuga and Globus.
Globus has the great advantage that it flowers very late, making it interesting for areas with spring frosts.

I give you the link to the Limbach nursery, where it indicates the place of obtaining (Crimean agricultural improvement station).

Certainly the Crimean peninsula is Ukrainian territory occupied by the Russians, therefore the Globus hybrid can be considered of Ukrainian origin, among other things because the Russians have two news programs left in the occupied territories of Ukraine (Spanish expression to indicate a very short period of time).
I am not very clear about the opinion of the American population about the Russian occupation of the Ukrainian territories, but here in Europe the rejection of the Russian occupation is Total and Absolute and if Putin is allowed to get his way, he will continue to occupy the territories of other countries and this was allowed in 2014, but now his feet must be stopped.

Regards
Jose

6 Likes

Thank you very much Jose for clearing all this.
All I was saying that it wasn’t “russian variety”.

During the last century (early 1900s to about 1980s) Ukrainian developments were all renamed as russian.
Many very old indigenous varieties perished from existence during Stalin’s fruit tree tax on every household during the 1930-40s.
Because of this, there are meny varieties that are now unidentifiable, unfortunately.

That’s the reason I pointed out about “russian variety”.

I hope this information will teach some sceptics.

Peace✌️

3 Likes

HI candyfliper.

Regarding the Sharafuga and Globus hybrids, they taste good, but don’t expect them to be like a pluot Flavor Supreme from Zaiger (it’s not an opinion, it’s a fact)

Fortunately, Ukraine is not Russia, and their way of thinking and doing is totally Europeanist (they know that Europe is their lifeline).
To give you an idea that the Ukrainians (even in time of war), do not stop contributing whit good things, I will tell you that in terms of cherries , there are 50 new varieties of Ukrainian obtentión in the Ovocinársky inštitút NAAN, Kiev.

Above all, these two varieties are very interesting for the Northern states of the United States, due to their qualities:

• Large caliber
  • Excellent flavor, with high brix levels
  • Very resistant to very cold winters
  • Tremendous resistance to cracking, even with prolonged periods of rain and high environmental humidity
  • Resistant to fungal diseases of the cherry tree such as Monilia Laxa
  • They are varieties to grow, without the need for any treatment (no fumigation)

These two varieties are especially good for the northern states of the United States (they are patent-free).

• Krupnoplodnaya
  • Yaroslavna

This winter I want to buy and graft quite a few new varieties of cherry trees, and these two Ukrainian ones are on my list.

As for pacifism, it is a very relative term.
Imagine (it’s an impossible example but imagine it).
You are a pacifist and from Texas, and from one day to the next, the Mexican army occupies the states of California, Texas and Oklahoma and claims them to annex them to the territory of its country, bringing death and misery.
Do you think you would continue being a pacifist and fold your arms?

Regards
Jose

5 Likes

Luis, don’t give me likes, that the day after tomorrow we Spaniards invade Portugal hahahahahaha.

Regards
Jose

4 Likes

No, we passed that time. The time of empires it’s not now like russians think.

2 Likes

Luis, look if Putin is stupid that chew the water.

He is madder than a goat and has dreams of recovering the tsarist empire.
As the occupation of Crimea in 2014 it was good , he thought about taking another piece from Ukraine, and then from Moldova, and then from Poland, and then a little from Finland and Sweden.
But this time it backfired.
Never in the history of the European Union , the members so showed themselves united and firm in the face of the Russian tyrant, and it has also fostered an even stronger alliance between the member countries of NATO.
With the military support of the United States (they are making an incredible effort), and the other NATO member countries, it may be that the end of this conflict is very close.
I think we will see Putin removed from power and most likely tried for war crimes (if the Russians don’t kill him first).

I know that these topics should not be talked about in a fruit forum, but I can’t help it.

Regards
Jose

5 Likes

I agree 100% with you! :+1:

1 Like

Jose, these ‘pluot’ and ‘Glubus’, are they open pollinated, like, can you grow the same trees from their seeds? If not, do you know any delicious fruits adapted to cooler cloudier Northern European climates that are? I like the sustainability of being able to propagate from seeds.

2 Likes

I agree that this topic its not for the forum, it creates quite some distraction.

My globus produced beautifull very sweet large size fruits and with long shelf life.
Those are usually the requests for a comercial variety.

Am i missing some aspects here José that reduces your interest on this fruit?
I wonder if its not a similar cultivar.

1 Like

Helder, Globus is a plumcot originated by open pollination.
I have a lot of varieties of plumcots (Plum Parfait, Sultry Sunset, Flavorella, Spring Satin, Hesse, etc…), and Globus is one more of this fruit range , but without anything special.
As I have almost all varieties of pluots from Zaiger, and Metis from Bradford Genetics.
These are the Metis:

https://www.metis-fruits.com/

So simple plumcots are very poor in flavor next to all these varieties.

Globus is only interesting for very cold areas with spring frosts, due to its very late flowering.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes