Experience with Physalis peruviana (goldenberry/poha berry)?

2 Likes

Digging deeper on the Boyce Thompson blog, this 2019 post about the relative growing seasons of peruviana and pruinosa may be of interest to others here:

Being that it was our first time growing groundcherry and goldenberry outside in a field setting, we didn’t know what to expect. One thing we were interested in was the length of the growing season for both species.

We found that the groundcherries (Physalis pruinosa) began to produce ripe fruit in early July and started to slow down by the end of August. The plants started producing fewer flowers and the leaves began to yellow by mid-August. The fruit that was produced at the end of August was much smaller compared to the fruit produced at the beginning of the season in July. By mid-September the plants had all stopped flowering and the vegetation became brown and brittle.

For goldenberry (Physalis peruviana) we had our first ripe fruit at the end of June. It is important to note that these plants were started in March in the greenhouse and were mature when they were transplanted into the field. We found that the goldenberry plants kept on producing fruit and flowering well into the fall, however, we were unsure how they would hold up in the cooler temperatures.

On October 5th we had our first frost, with the temperatures at our field site dipping below freezing for a couple of hours in the morning. We found that the plants had frost damage (see picture below), but were still alive. Another interesting thing we noticed was that the plants from Colombia (“Goldenberry”) were able to withstand the cooler temperatures and continued to flower and produce fruit well into October, after the first frost. Comparatively, the plants from South Africa and India had flowering shut down after the freezing temperatures, and displayed less vigorous growth than Goldenberry, becoming brittle and yellow.

We did our last goldenberry fruit harvest on October 15th, before the consistent cold weather set in for the season.

4 Likes

mine must have been the Colombian as it preformed similarly.

I love all the contributed research on this site! I checked the summer temps in Ithaca, NY.
5-10 degrees warmer than here but probably close to Seattle/Portland …with a lot more rain.
Even though plants are monoecious, I remember reading in several places that you do better with 2 or more plants of 1 variety … as is true of other monoecious plants.

Ithaca summer H/L temps:

June 79° / 58°,           9 days rain

July.  83° / 62°,          9 days rain

August 81° / 61°,         8 days rain
1 Like

Another trial in New Jersey. Final report for LNE18-362 - SARE Grant Management System
My take-away from this trial is that you need to get plants to near flowering stage before you plant out.

Hypothesis:

Given accurate production guidelines and correctly identified germplasm, growers in the Northeast will adopt
goldenberries as a fruit crop. In addition genetic improvement can be attained by identifying plant characteristics
which enhance productivity and developing superior cultivars utilizing traditional breeding methods.

(long list of trials in report)

Research conclusions:
In general, most growers had difficulty in bringing the crop to harvest. Goldenberries are a very long season crop that must be field planted (as seedlings from the greenhouse) as early as possible in the spring. Since that is often not an option in the Northeast due to cold, wet weather in the spring, alternative production methods must be evaluated for Northeastern growers. The most feasible option is high tunnel production.

Several growers have planted up to 1000 plants, however, most growers who adopt goldenberries generally plant 50 to 100 plants.

Based on general observations over the three year test period, we recommend growing goldenberries on black plastic mulch, with a simple trellis and pruning plants until the first bifurcation of the main stem.

Participation Summary
406 Farmers participating in research

1 Like

Tomatillo & Ground Cherry Archives · Turtle Tree Seed Initiative
Schoenbrunn Gold Physalis Seeds 348 · Turtle Tree Seed Initiative

order placed. Going to have to start some seeds soon.
Goldenberries - Pictures! - Growing Fruit

I have not had a harvest that good in years.

1 Like

please let me know if the fruit of Physalis alkekengi is good.
i wonder if it has potential to breed as a fruit plant, most grow it as ornamental.
To have a cold hardy tasty Physalis would be great, even it is not that good as P. edulis…

1 Like

I will make sure to post an update. I just hope its fully self fertile because I only have one plant. Its very young but it should fruit within a few months. It would be wonderful to have a truly perennial fruity tasting physalis. Only downside to some of its cousins is that it only fruits once per season instead of continually throughout the season, at least according to some online sources.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t be the heat. They flower just fine in the California Central Valley which is hotter than you.

I don’t know about humidity.