Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

Pink pearl has been one of my most successful grafts this year

1 Like

I already have pink pearl and mountain rose… maby motts pink is a bit of the same?

I’d place it between those two in quality (as grown in Northern California), with PP leading. It’s the earliest of the three, though, and that adds to its value for me. I still recommend it, if you have room for it.

1 Like

I already was counting to get motts pink… i just have space to one or two more…

In that case, I’d recommend that you give some consideration to Christmas Pink. It’s late-ripening (though not as late as Pink Parfait), large, prolific, reliable, crisp, and juicy. Ram Fishman describes the flesh as being watermelon-like, and I find that to be an apt comparison. I think it’s an under-appreciated variety that more apple fans should try.

Another pink-fleshed apple in that category is Strawberry Parfait (NJ46). When fully ripe, the flesh is soft like a pear’s, and it has a unique flavor and aroma. Great for fresh eating and sauce. It’s unusual and interesting, and should be better-known.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your advice!
I have baya marisa, red devil, pink princess, redlove odysso, surprize, rubayiat, pink pearl, mountain rose, purple passion and bloody ploughman…
I should get one very red flesh variety…

There’s a
Denmark source of Veralma Simontornya…and Wierouge should be two readily available in Europe…and dark red flesh. Not sure if you all in EU can order from Estonia…but there are some there that are desirable.

Those are some dark red options. So is Winekist and Otterson.

1 Like

Thank’s! :+1:

Anyone have experience with Pink Princess/Pink Old Lady? The Pink Pearl/King of the Pippins cross. It seems to be relatively popular (even my local garden shop sells it) but I haven’t run across tasting notes from any red-fleshed apple enthusiasts.

1 Like

I have Pink Princess but it is a small tree, so no fruit yet…

2 Likes

And today i just got my Mott’s Pink apple… :blush:

1 Like

I just got another two new redflesh apple varieties:

Scarlet Surprise

Rosette

4 Likes

@Luisport, that latter photo is of Rosette (a relatively recent redder sport of the English Discovery apple) rather than the older Blush Rosette (i.e. Etter 14-1). Blush Rosette looks like this:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s the photo used by the nursery where i buy them… but i suspected it was wrong… but i think that what they sell is rosette and not blush rosette… i will find out next year… :grin:
I assume it as Rosette…

From the photo … Rosette is a real find (if it tastes good).

1 Like

They say so… sweet with good size…

1 Like

Very upset to see several apples including my 3 of 4 Redlove Calypso on the ground due to bird pecking. I blame it in cat birds. They are vicious.

At this point, the color of the outside ofCalypso seeds were pink !!! The fruit brown very quickly after being cut open.

I have one more left that will need max protection.

1 Like

Geezzz birds are terrible

And Cat birds are LOUD!

I don’t mind if they screamed or yelled if they left my fruit alone. But no they don’t.

1 Like