Experiments in black raspberry breeding

I absolutely love reading about your project! I’m going to be polite and NOT ask for any - yet. It’ll be a couple years before i retire and have time to work with any of these (i have a black raspberry thats suppsoed to be good but havent had fruit yet). I bought a couple for my retirement home in Michigan already - figuring on them soreading by the time i get there - they’re large red fruits but not the same as the wild ones in N Michigan. Keep us posted - these are types of projects that are so much fun!

2 Likes

Yes I really like growing plants. I have a number of projects I want to do. I’m not doing it for anything but fun.
Some of my projects I just want to grow out some items.
Like I like a few pluots. I’m not really looking for anything in particular, but a few I like I would not mind some crosses to grow out similar pluots. Like Dapple Dandy is tasty for me it’s big and prolific. I plan on growing out a few for more trees with those traits. The new white strawberries sold commercially are huge have firm flesh and tasty. No chance this cultivar will be released to growers. The company does its own crosses. This strawberry is awesome. I’ll be growing out seeds and hope one is close that I can clone. I’ll be starting those in a few weeks.

1 Like

I actually started when i was a kid with crossing a Mandan indian corn with sweet corn and when we saw the results, i was hooked. I’ve tried everything from amaryllis (i have another batch of crossed seed ready to plant now) to zucchini, to tomatoes. But i havent done much with fruit trees until the last couple years. My grandfather always had about 40 acres in plum trees - and im excited that my Uncle is looking to put a 10 acre heirloom orchard together with his and my great grandfather’s favorite varities of plum apple grape etc from Iowa/Kansas and central Oregon.

I have Flavor Grenade and Dapple Supreme i grafted this year so we will see. Now you have me windering - crossing those? Crossing with green gage? Other apricot?? So many options!

I have quite a few pluots. I’m only impressed by a few. Although I’m very impressed with those few. I have two more that will fruit for the first time. I’m hoping they are decent, really nice grafts that can be scaffolds easily. Growing super well. Flowers are opening now. I’m not really looking to achieve anything so I’ll let Mother Nature do it. I want fruit from very comparable cultivars to produce new fruit that is easily pollinated, a problem with some very picky plums and pluots. I had a few seedlings but lost them. I do have seedling peaches that produce well. Good luck. I’ll post any results if I get any.

3 Likes