Facebook fruit growing groups suck

Just some thoughts and personal experience:

I think that misinformation isn’t necessarily a problem on Facebook alone; my interactions with locals has shown me that so many people are really just completely clueless when it comes to plants, trees, and garden/landscape care (which is a shame, but in today’s world, getting the right information out to people is—in some ways—much harder than it has ever been before, in the sense that it’s harder to reach the general population as a whole. People seem to be isolated, separated, and divided, not connected, by technology and the internet). If not Facebook, then where will those people go? And if people stop going anywhere, is it a good thing that more and more people are getting disconnected from fruit growing, gardening, and/or landscaping in general?

On the whole, Facebook does have more than its fair share of problems. But, I think that whether on Facebook, in forums (including this one!), other websites, etc., that any group will only be as good as how it is set up—e.g. what rules are in place—as well as how it is run. I also think that any group needs to be able to adapt to possible changes that might occur—including influxes of new people.

The region-specific FB group I’ve helped moderate, “Utah Gardeners” (a group for anything garden, landscape, or plant-related—including fruit trees) has been better than many others. The founders were wise in how they set it up. Only real, sincere people who actually live locally have been allowed entry, and were required to agree to the rules to join, with bots and bad actors being easily sifted out.
The rules themselves also established a good foundation. Besides Respect being #1, another key rule was that they rely on Science to establish facts, and that any "illegal, questionable, disproven, or questionable ‘advice’ " doesn’t have a place there.
Also, having the right people on there has been another key to success, with knowledgeable admins and moderators—many of whom are local experts or professionals—having really helped to keep discussion focused, on-topic, and enforced the rules well. Their expertise on topics that are particular to our region is also very helpful.
We haven’t had many problems that can be endemic to some other groups; no issues with people selling things, very few fights (those that do pop up are usually quenched pretty quickly), etc. I also wouldn’t say that it’s necessarily been older-folks-only on there; there are plenty of people of all [adult] ages on there (though, perhaps a number of them use Facebook very little except for group participation; I know I do).

With that being said, I will also admit that the group isn’t without its problems. Its success has begun to lead to a little bit of “undoing;” the number of members has tripled in size over the past four years, now reaching almost 30,000. There are indeed problems with the format of Facebook, not the least of which is that at least for that group, it’s getting increasingly difficult for moderators/admins to sift through all the posts, which keep going up in numbers. Though they were able to keep discussion focused in the past, it has been more challenging for people, especially newcomers, to separate the recognized voices of authority and reason from the John/Jane Does that speak the first thing on their mind without realizing how little they know about it. It is becoming more and more taxing to moderate the group as it gets bigger and busier, to correct misinformation, to direct others to good information, etc… But, I don’t think all of these problems are only endemic to Facebook; some of them are problems that simply come from people.

(One thing I wonder about is this: Is it better to try to separate oneself from the “dummies” and stick to groups where they’re are only people that have the same understanding as myself, or is it better to educate those who aren’t as fortunate to know what I do, and help them learn things and do things they wouldn’t otherwise? I partly ask that to myself as I try to contemplate what to do next with my life; I am near the end of my undergraduate studies and hope to use what I’ve studied about plant- and landscaping-related world to do something useful with it and to make a difference in the problems that I see where I live, but it’s hard to know what will really make the best or biggest difference.)

4 Likes

Hobby Fruit Growers recently had a very active post on fresh arborist woodchips… about 6 days ago and is still ongoing.

A guy basically asks if woodchips are good to add to fruit trees…

As of today there are 270 replies to the topic.

If you wish to read the replies it is a classic example of how this forum differs from a social media group.

You will read answers such as-
gases are released from the woodchips that kill trees
it will cause termites to eat your trees
dont use woodchips use mulch from box stores
lots of Nitrogen theories
gravel is better
its the best
its the worst
i use cypress mulch
i use pine bark mulch
i use the cheapest mulch
i use leaves
i dont use any mulch or bark
where do you buy fresh woodchips?
I use this stuff from Amazon

So if you want to join in… you might get some likes and will be proved wrong and right by various members.

We kind of do the same thing here but most of the time we learn as we go…at least i do.

4 Likes

the biggest myth i hear about mulch is its got to be composted 1st or it will rob nitrogen from your plants. i use fresh mulch all the time. the only place it takes N from is a thin layer of the soil where it touches the mulch about 1/4in. ive got this info from a professor of soil science over on permies.com. it makes sense because the forest would have a continual N deficiency from all the branches, deadfalls and leaves otherwise. people will argue passionately over this subject. as long as you dont turn mulch into the soil it wont rob N.

9 Likes

I am surrounded by forests that have been logged but otherwise un-cared for by humans. We English have only been here a short time… and cleared most every living tree at some point or another… yet every forest still thrives that is left alone.

In the city…they grow trees seemingly against nature but it still works.

Everyone is so worried about N depletion… or wild theories…when trees will live in a concrete and asphalt jungle and experience all of mankinds wastes, chemicals and poisons.

At my grandmas old house there is a mulberry tree that has to be nearly 100 years old. It grew in a corner of the lot where the refuse of old cinderblocks, bricks… and my uncles changed engine oil and antifreeze for decades. It still is there today living in pure garbage and spoils. Thriving. Never mulched never cared for…never anything but mistreatment. (however the roots got far far away from that tree and likely are many hundreds of feet in every direction…under other peoples houses and definately under city streets. Mulching around the ‘drip line’ would be a joke… the tree outsmarted everyone.

9 Likes

At least with my regional forum the issues with some people can stem from the fact we have so many different climates. A 3-4 hour drive from me is palisade/grand junction and that is zone 7 and gets hardly any snow, southern Colorado is zone 6 and due to the minimal roads and traffic it is around 4-5 hours from me, I am zone 5 but drive 30 minutes into Conifer and you will have a extremely short season to the point it is nonexistent up in Conifer, drive between palisade and Grand junction it is zone 4. At first I saw start lettuce in April which works for my area. Now I see start lettuce in March which would work in the very southern area of CO but not here from my experience. I am sure palisade or grand junction you could grow lettuce all winter. No one is telling where they live on that forum so no one knows if you have a climate of Grand lake or palisade.

1 Like

The difference between the best and worst groups is the same as any other organization: effective leadership begets good will and good will creates a thriving culture.

5 Likes

Good leadership…yes. But so rare. Our first President, our 34th come to mind, but they’re long deceased. Elon Musk or Charlie Munger?
Ok, maybe there are some ‘good’ leaders…but there are no great ones that are alive and currently leading that I can think of.

I never plan to join F-buk.
But it’s not just leadership, it’s privacy, it’s pc police, it’s the misuse of so much time…etc.

4 Likes

Message boards are a much better venue for this kind of discussion.
I have often thought of inviting interested Facebook users to this message board, but we are not hard to find here. Anyone really interested in fruit growing will find us and decide on their own.

3 Likes

Lots of visionary leaders out there but great leaders? I can’t think of any.

1 Like

Issue is most of the big companies leaders only got there because of richness from the start. Bill Gates bought the Microsoft operating system for 50k which was an insane amount of money back then. For reference my mother’s house was worth 150k in the 1980s and is now worth a million. Elon Musk is a diamond industry baby and he created PayPal before being ousted, Tesla and is now doing Starlink I believe. If you go into any of the rich people you realize they are not totally self made. They are just good investors. Issue is we don’t have anymore Steve Jobs. I wonder how far our phones would be today if we still had Steve Jobs alive. Apple created the iPhone from their iPod touch model which ended up basically being the standard model for phones. The next model included a camera that could go both directions which was major. We then made the jump to 4g. After that we did not have another model until the X which just got rid of the touchscreen. Now you ask what the difference between the X and the iPhone 14 but people won’t be able to give a true difference. The difference between leaders and what we have now is they force the industry they are in to change. Facebook has been the same thing for as long as I remember. It is a dog with no new tricks but so is so many other industries.

Let’s not spread lies, shall we. We bought my mom a house back in 1976 for $69k in Orange County, California, and it’s now worth maybe $750k at most.
$50k was not an insane amount in the 80s, why my sister had half of that amount sitting in the bank in CDs and she’s now the poorest person in my family, the only thing she excels is complaining, maybe she should focus on growing her money when she’s younger.

Well I just looked up what Gates actually bought it for. Gates bought it for 75k which according to google was 276,119.24 today. Needless to say inflation is more than what you are claiming. If we want to do 50k comparison it is worth 134,079.39 back in 1980. Either way he spent way over your sister’s house. I guess houses are not the best case anyway as they appreciate at different rates. I would think a 750k house in Orange County CA would be in a bad area. CA is notorious for high housing costs. I would be complaining too if I lived in CA were the houses go for over a few million often times and mine was worth 750k. Your sister spent 254,049.70 in todays money for reference.how much is 69k back in 1980 - Google Search
how much is 69k back in 1980 - Google Search how much money was 75000 in 1980 - Google Search
what did bill gates buy the microsoft operating system - Google Search
what was 50k worth back in 1980 - Google Search

I’m not claiming anything about inflation. That’s the actual price on Redfin today. Maybe it’s time to stop spreading lies, this is Orange County in California, not some rural areas.
For your information, down payment from the house was $7k, not $69k, so $7k grew to $750k for about 45 years. When you buy a house, you take out a mortgage, hence you can profit from leveraging. I meant she had that half of amount in CDs, you need better reading comprehension.

It’s a working class neighborhood, the guy next to our house was working as a delivery guy for 7 up. When he sold it, an ex-military guy bought it with VA loan, however it’s very safe, not a crime infested area like Stockton or LA, it’s in Orange County for goodness sake.

This is not a thread to bash California either, so control your negativity, some forum members have a tendency to do that. I don’t bash whatever people live either and maybe it’s time to stop spreading lies about how rich people are getting rich. Not all people who had inherited large sum of money ended up up doing good enough, just Google Steve Bing and his $800 million he inherited from his grandfather at 18, so I give Elon Musk a lot of credit too, I know he is not popular after he purchased Twitter but I don’t really follow him nor having a Twitter account.

The sum of $75k is not a huge amount, not by any stretch of imagination, but some of us didn’t have the foresight to do anything with it either, I know I couldn’t do it. So let’s give Gates some credit and he is not my favorite billionaire either. Sure he had some help through his mom with IBM.

I trust Quora and here is what I found googling.

Lets be nice.

3 Likes

@elivings1 and @SoCalGardenNut
Many of both of your recent posts have had nothing to do with the title of this thread. They are very off tracks.

Would you like to delete them yourself or an admin delete them for you, please?

7 Likes

You can delete them.

1 Like

If you want.

1 Like

Thank you.

What we would like to see is that members stay on topic as much as possible. A little off-topic, esp. light-hearted ones are fine.

6 Likes

I’ve invited two people I know in real life to this forum. one grows all kinds of things in Oregon, the other grows things indoors there. good people.

I had to use FB messenger to invite one of them.

2 Likes

So it was you?!

Just kidding.

3 Likes