False Advertising

No, I was just looking. I don’t even like sour cherries. I’ve got 4 sweet cherry trees.

You are raising savvy consumers.

2 Likes

Here, it is a rare thing for a big box to carry a variety I would want to grow, as far as fruit trees go- that Montmorency would be a welcome site. I’ve gotten some great flower bulb deals from Costco, however.

2 Likes

one of the big problems is who knows what rootstock they are. I’ve ordered all B9 apples, but the ones from Home Depot I’m sure are a mix of whatever they had left over and called them dwarf. So far I’ve been happy with my Home Depot Apple trees, but since I’ve got them in a Tall Spindle planting that may change as they show their true size. I have two Macintosh right next to each other, bought at the same location at the same size and one seems to be much larger in growth.

1 Like

I’m moving this week and have started gathering new trees for the new orchard. Walmart had Fuji apples for $10. I really wanted to get one but I know its probably a nasty red delicious.

2 Likes

I always look at Walmart, but I very rarely see a good tree there. lowes seems to have nice size trees always.

1 Like

Anymore I don’t buy a tree at a big big store unless it has a nursery tag on it. I feel like it might be a better chance of being correct than just a store Label.

2 Likes

It’s super practical too. Montmorency has to be one of the most widely adapted cherry trees. The reason the box stores are carrying so much is because we are in the midst of a fruit revolution. More and more are gardening in general. I can only speculate as to why, but the trend is still increasing. Sales are up all over the United States and have been for some time.At least from reports I have heard on garden shows throughout the USA. The fact that about 100 garden show podcasts exists is because people are listening for advice more and more.The call lines are full when I listen to these shows.

4 Likes

Tractor Supply seems to have the most appropriate trees for our area out of all the big box stores. The past few years it has been Reliance, Red Haven and Elberta for peaches and Montmorency for Cherries. Beta Grapes , Darrow blackberries. Nothing overly exciting but at least those should do all right.

3 Likes

Ours is the same. Got my redhaven there.

1 Like

One more… And I’m gonna tell Mom!

:grinning:

1 Like

Awesome picture!!

1 Like